18 watt Tone Control Problems

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wavey63, Jun 12, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I just built a Weber 18 watt kit and love it exept for 2 problems I am now having with her. First, the tone controls on the tmb side do nothing. Well, the bass does a bit but treble and mids are fr show only. What should I check to fix that? Also, with 12AX7's in V1, V2 and V3 the gain is too much. I have swapped V3 for a 12AT7 and that seemed to help a bit but is there anything I can do to the boarsd to lower the gain? I have a few mods I wanna try but want to get all things in order before I procede. Thanks!:Spank

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

You have something mis-wired.Recheck your work and see what's amiss.
    Try the 12AT7 in V1.Or try a 12AY7 or 5751 instead.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

I'd recommend checking grounds, which can be a problem when bolts are used on painted chassis.

4. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

You can also change the PI values to lower the overall gain try changing the 470K 820 470K 47K to 1m 470 1m 56K

You do have a wire in the wrong place if your tone controls aren't working. retrace everything and check to make sure all of your grounds are connected.

5. awallace

awallace Member

Don't worry about the gain until you get the tone controls working correctly... it sounds like the tonestack may be bypassed somehow hence the increased gain. Go over your work carefully a section at a time comparing with the schematic- you'll find the error.

regards,

gtrguy

6. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

+1 on this and also what PRNDL said.

A lot of what the tone stack does is dump certain frequencies to ground based on pot settings. If you have a bad ground, the desired parts of the signal aren't getting to ground as they should be and the gain could be affected by that.