1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

18 Watt with Celestion Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by opdev, May 15, 2006.

1. opdev

opdev Member

I am considering a Weber 18W head.

I would buy a separate open back cab (which I wanted for my Celestion Blue anyway).

How would the amp be with that speaker or do I have to go Greenback.

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

With the Blue being rated at 15 watts, I wouldn't go there with a speaker that expensive. I may or may not survive on the cusp like that considering some tolerances and peak ratings.

Try a ceramic or alnico 30 watt Weber Blue Dog is my recommendation. I love the ceramic 30 watt Blue Dogs with light dope. One of Ted's best speakers IMHO.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Don't sell the Blue so short. We had a celestion Rep. here that said that speaker is very underated. Its good for almost 20-22 watts easy.

I have played a Bruno Cow Tipper 22 that had a single Blue and it was beautiful.

4. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

+ 1 on the Blue Dog.

5. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

18 watts should not be an issue. If you're worried, the Alnico Gold is on the way (50 watts).

Cheers,
    Rick

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Only a Blue sounds like a Blue....I don't know what a Gold sounds like. I do know what the Webers sound like and they don't sound like a Blue.

It would sound twice as good if you used two Blues...duh...:)

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

Aspen Pittman claims he know guys who put Blues into Twins -- that's 40w (or more) into each speaker! I don't know about that, but they are renowned for being underrated.

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I do. A bunch of us played the new Gold at the LA Amp Show last Sat. It sounds like a Blue, only 50W, therefore - Gold!

9. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Actually I heard one, it was phenominal! The volume knob never goes past 2 but it was the sweetest clean I've heard.

10. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Not sure if you are G12H30 fan but it's my favorite 18 Watt speaker. Especially the new Heritage.

11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

I've had several customers play 18W amps with a single Blue. I've never had a report of blowing one, although the amp will certainly push the speaker to its limits--especially if you play the amp cranked like most 18W players do.

A Red Fang is another option and it is rated much higher.

12. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I've heard that the reissue Blue is actually a 30W speaker. I don't know if that is true so don't necessarily take my word for that. However, I know that alot of the 18watt guys are running their amps with a single Blue and I don't recall ever hearing that anyone blew one up. I often run any of my amps through a 2-12 semi-open back cab with a pair of RI Blues. They sound great with my 100W D-clone.

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

get the celestion gold, its the 50 watt version

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

s2 and GDS would know.

15. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I've heard the same thing regarding the power rating (15 watts nom and 30 watts peak) My experience has been the same regarding durability... I have run blues in my AC15 clones, tweed Deluxes, Deluxe Reverbs... etc. without one problem for over 10 years. I push the crap out of them too. An 18 watt is a great sounding but wimpy amp. A blue gives the amp an extra kick. I wouldn't worry one bit. I had one in my 18 watt for years and it never had an issue.

YMMV

<M

16. opdev

opdev Member

I already have a Blue and was thinking about building an 18W. That's why I asked.

I don't need to know now since I just bought a 1974X HW :)

17. myles111

myles111 Member

I find the Vox Blue works very very well in 18 watt ( 2xEL84) amps.

I cannot think of a better speaker, and it does have a 15 watt continuous / 30 watt peak capacity

[​IMG]

18. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Congrats! You'll love that amp. I have one too, to go along with my GDS 18W amps. Have you tried to fit the Blue into that cab yet? I am afraid it might be tight, if not impossible.

19. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have Blue in a crate v16 - a 15 watt el84 amp....i checked with everyone i could including the celstion rep who posted here...he said don't worry about the power handling capabilities, so i don't. but i do have two observations:

1. the bottom end is not so great. it is not tight and not deep. this in itself is not a knock on the speaker. i love the speaker.

2. just playing by yourself (no band) i notice more hum/noise from the blue. no bad....it just seems to be a bit more pronounced from this speaker. i guess since you have one you may have heard this yourself.

20. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Dr Z offers a blue in both the Maz 18 and Carmen Ghia combos. Depending on who you talk to, they are both more powerful than the 18 watts that they are listed at. I wouldn't think he would offer this speaker from the factory if there was any chance that it would not handle the power.