18 watter Marshall in a 2x12 cab, dual Blues or Blue/g12h30 mix?

dewman

Got a dead on copy of a Marshall 18 watter. Was toying with the idea of replacing one if the two alnico blues with a hellatone G12h30, for a mix. It's an open backed cab, standard Marshall baby bluesbreaker depth. 18 watter owners, do you like the speaker mix or dual blues?

scottb1966

I have 2 Tone Tubby's in my 2 x 12 cabinet that I use with my 18 watt Marshall clone. A green ceramic and a red alnico. I love it!

dewman

Does the g12h30 add or detract from the amps tone versus two blues for this circuit? I'm just looking for more low end and thick miss but want to keep that voxish crunch and chime when the volume is reduced, and a singing lead tone when it is cranked.

crunchman

I like to use 1-alnico and 1-celestion but wired to seperate jacks, you could prolly wire them so that they are available seperate or together.

DavidS

Silver Supporting Member
Marshall 18 watt is great with a G12H, G12M, Blue, or Gold. I've used all in mine and currently are using the G12H30. Go to the Retro King website and you can hear their 18 watt with a Blue/G12H combo, it sounds fantastic.

dewman

that's how the FTR37 is wired with the /13 cab. maybe something to that scheme....hmmm

This -for now- would be a simple speaker swap. much easier. Since it has a style I depth cab the bass is there but you lose a bit with that cab design. I could add just enough back probably with a G12H30 or G12H style speaker.

Anyone know the effciency of a scumback H55 or H75 as compared to the G12H30?

I'm not a fan of the G12H heritage celestions since they have a sharp high end to them until one million hours later they break in.

I'd like to get something to match the effciency of the blue which is why I was thinking originally of the G12H30. nice combination.

I like to use 1-alnico and 1-celestion but wired to seperate jacks, you could prolly wire them so that they are available seperate or together.

Trending Topics