18 watts--still too much power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KDSI44, Feb 2, 2006.

1. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

ok guys, i really need some help. here is the deal. i play electric guitar at our church. we have about 100 people and our building is small(maxed out right now). I have a vox ac30 that i cant turn past 1. so then i got a tophat club royale 212. 18 watts. still way too loud. i cant get past 2 or 3 on it. so my question is, what should i do. i got a dr z airbrake, and tried that with the vox, and it just didnt sound that good attentuated all the way down. so im thinking of grabbing a dr z mini z, or some other small wattage combo. any thoughts or anyone else been in my shoes...please help! thanks in advance

2. dbx

dbx Member

Yes, I believe so...do a search this forum on the Mini Z and check the related comparison threads...you are not alone...

:cool:

3. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

One word, Attenuator.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

5. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

Three words: Epi Valve Special...:D

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

four words: external isolated speaker cabinet :D

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

what type of tone are you trying to get? There are a few really good low watters out there that will perform very well at low volumes. The Cornford Hurricane is acceptionally even at bedroom levels. If you're looking for a British / Marshall tone that amp would be perfect for you and has a very good built in reverb.

8. sicktone

sicktone Member

If you're into the EL84 thing, I'd check out the Bad Cat Cub II. Great master volume amp that will play at reasonable volumes.

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

My Dr. Z Maz 18jr. does very well at church at low volume and at home when I am recording. The one disclaimer I have is that I use a tube preamp pedal (Bad Cat Extreme Tone) to drive the dirty sounds so I can get the preamp to saturate nicely without turnin up the amp to loud.

I am sure a mini Z would be great as long as you don't need a pristine clean. I had a mini cat and it was far to quiet even at church to play with a band and not need guitar amp in the monitors.

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Fifteen words, The guy mentioned trying an AIRBRAKE in his original post. Read more carefully before responding.

:BEER
    Haha, I'm just being a prick. Sorry.
    :)

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Class A amps are indeed very loud. This very reason (along with tonal reasons) is why I am saving up for a Fuchs ODS 50 which, because of a great Master Volume, has fantastic tones at a lower volume...

I would look at some of the amps that have great Master Volumes, such as a Fuchs. If $$$ is an issue, then yes I suppose a smaller amp is the way to go...

12. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

13. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

to me....if an 18 watt is too loud ( i had a cub II 15 watter) than a 5 watt is going to be just as loud ( i have a mini cat to compare) i can get better tone at lower levels with my hot cat 30r than i can with my mini cat. the mini cat loves to be cranked.

14. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 on that

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

On a funny unrelated church gig topic. We took a full band 1/2 stacks and p.a. to what we were told was a big church. It only seated maybe 150 people max. On the very first note I watched everyone peel back in their seats. During the break, we were asked if we could turn it down. The volume was on 1.:eek: :D

16. Ogre

Ogre Member

tweed Champ or the Clark equivalent(Lil' Bit)

17. amper

amper Member

Your post leaves me with a few questions...but you should probably be looking for an amp in the sub-5 W range, possibly with an attenuator, as well.

Do you desire reverb? Reverb is hard to come by on low wattage amps, but the Crate V508 has an effects loop.

Do you desire a 12" speaker? Most low-watt amps come with 8" or 10" speakers, so an external cab will be needed.

Are you already using a relatively low efficiency speaker, like a Celestion Greenback (96 dB) or Rocket 50 (95 dB)? This will really help, but again, 12" only.

Are you using distortion? If so, do you use power tube distortion? If you do, even a 5 W amp is probably going to be too loud. What other effects do you use? If you don't use power tube distortion, you'll have a much easier time comtrolling your volume levels.

Do you have a big budget? Most high-quality low-watt amps are expensive. You may be better off compromising and using a less prestigious amp. But of course, a big budget always opens up more options.

18. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Dan Torres has the Tiny tone amp. I have played it and it sounds great!
    Siegmund Amps has the Muddy Buddy a 1 Watt amp designed for practice or recording. I think these run in the 600 + range.

Maybe its time someone re-did the Sholtz Rockman headphone amps of the 80s. I would imagine with the current modeling technology a pretty cool product could be designed.

Just a thought:)

19. bigroy

bigroy Member

I use a Pod Pro into a power amp, or direct into the FOH. Also used to use a Cyber Deluxe. Try the Stadium Rock setting for the solo's....

20. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Aiken's 12-watt Tomcat has a built-in attenuator that is not a tone sucking monster. Very flexible and and practical. Sans attenuator it's pretty doggone loud, too.