180 Watt bedroom amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jcj, May 20, 2008.

1. jcj

jcj Member

Pretty much.....:cool: Great amp, VERY versatile, and sounds great at super low volume (to me). Forgive the wankery!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsNiNBhG3Gk

Shot with a Cannon still camera that will do video.

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Sounds good.

I have been playing high wattage amps at bedroom volumes for years. If you don't absolutely have to have power tube distortion then there are a lot of options available.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

That is a fantastic metal amp!!

Metal or high gain sounds are primarily preamp distortion, which is why that amp sounds great at low volumes.

Many musicians, however, are looking for a different type of tone, which may be a post-boutique amp phase. We're in an unusual musical era that includes increased access to different styles of music due to satellite radio and cable television. Part of the change is a "back to the basics" of blues and rock music, instead of the highly processed music.

Add to that the change in venues where loud music is often illegal (many clubs are under local restrictions about loudness).

There's also a change in customers. Low power amps are designed for home use by non-professional musicians.

4. jcj

jcj Member

I agree, but believe it or not, this amp has great clean, great mid gain and crunch tones as well. All available at low volume. Easily mic'd and fed through a P.A. Clearly this isn't an amp that everyone would love, nor want to lug to a gig, but it really does do it all reasonbly well, at home friendly volumes.

I'm not sure about the highly processed comment, that's straight in...

5. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Loved it......especially the wankery. Great tone.

6. jcj

jcj Member

Thanks sd!

I know that this isn't really in the vein of what most people here are into, so this weekend I'll put together some stuff that might appeal to a broader spectrum of forumites.

Just wanted to share an amp with a KILLER master, that I think is super versatile.

Diezel.....it's not just for metal anymore :rotflmao