18v out of PP2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by this1smyne, Aug 12, 2008.

1. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

ok. i know there is a y cable, but i'm cheap, and impatient. i have a daisy chain, could i in theory just plug two of the barrels into two outputs of teh PP2 for 18v? or would i have to rewire/solder the daisy chain to make this work? i don't want to break my PP, but my courtesy jack on the back is now being occupied by my modfactor, not my DC brick, and i'd like to keep my OD's at 18 if i can.....

2. neil99

neil99 Member

Plugging 2 barrels into a PP2 will not do it, all the barrels are in parallel. You would have to re-solder the barrels that you plug into the PP2 and put them in series. I did this with a one-spot daisy chain. Two PP2 outlets get you 3 18v outlets.

3. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

so just splice the two ends and connect the wires? Thats what i'm looking for i think, is 3 18v outlets, or at least 2...

4. neil99

neil99 Member

IIRC, I cut the end plug off reversed the wires and resoldered them. If you have a multimeter, figure out which wires go to the ouside ring (sleave) of the plug and which ones go to the inside of the plug(tip). Connect the sleave of the one you cut off to the wire of the tip of the one still on the daisy chain, and vice versa. I am going from memory and it was a couple years ago, so take it for what its worth.

I would advise you to check the polarity when you are finished with the daisy chain connected to the PP2 and no pedals. The 3 remaining outputs should have 18v with the center being negative.

found a better graphic
    http://fulltone.com/qaframe.html

5. wc8485

wc8485 Member

There is a diagram how to make your own 18 volt cable for a PP2 on the fulltone site.
    Just saw it posted above, my bad.