$1900 a good deal for a new masterbuilt strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpage, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

John English, too. I really don't have that kind of spare change to drop, but is that too good a deal to pass up? Closet Classic, '59 w/rosewood, neck feels good, pickups sound nice...

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

No.

Where is at? Just curious.;)

3. jpage

So are you insinuating that I should do whatever it takes?

And hell no I'm not telling...:)

4. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Very good deal

5. Thwap

Thwap Member

I really think you should tell us where it is. Just so I could look at it, and check it our for you. I'm not sure it's a good deal, and I'd hate to give you bad info.:D

6. hucklebee

hucklebee Member

Relative to what they retail for.... yes

Relative to your playing style, etc.... ???

Love to hear a review if you go for it

Good luck

7. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Exactly!!

Relative to what they actually are?
    I don't think so.

8. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

From what I have seen those going for would have to say yup, that is one heck of price.

9. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

LOL

10. randall g

randall g Member

Now that's a choice deal.

How often do those come around?????????

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Great deal as long as the neck is straight and it plays well.

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

If it is a Strat you really like, and bond with, then go for it. Otherwise there is no point in buying it unless you plan to purchase it for resale. And by the way, it sounds like a good deal if it has the proper COA.

13. SLG

SLG Member

I agree with JUSTJOB. IF it has all the paperwork, and is in good playable condition then the guitar is a good deal.

I had the oportunity to buy a Jay Black masterbuilt Strat last year. The guitar was sherwood green. The guitar was in excellent conditon, but the frets were well worn. It was a good playing Strat, but nothing above and beyond any of the other Custom Shop Strats I've played. It did not have the original case or the factory paperwork. The price was $1900. I passed.

You have to decide if you are buying the guitar as a player or as a possible collectible (especially if it doesn't have the original case and paperwork). If the guitar is a wonderful player, and you can see yourself owning and playing it for years, then go ahead and buy it. $1900 is no too much to pay for a good Custom Shop Strat regardless if is a masterbuilt or not.

14. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

I agree 100% I've played a few that didn't do much for me but if you get that right one that suite's your needs there's nothing like it. I would highly reccomend playing it first if at all possible. :dude

15. jimlp

jimlp Supporting Member

The OP said it was a new guitar.

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Better than a price on any other Closet Classic.

17. jpage

FWIW, I'll follow up. I decided the guitar was too good of a deal--I couldn't find any faults, the neck was straight, it was light and played well. I pulled the trigger and then they bring the case out and they "can't find" the COA. Hmmm. Turns out the guitar is just a normal team built strat. Still a good deal, but not a great one. I passed.

Fair enough--this experience has made me decide two things:

1) I really want/need/have to have a strat. I just moved and sold some stuff off and miss the feel of one.

2) I really need to stop buying instruments by when I "get a deal". This strat that I started the thread about was nice, like the past 4 high end strats I've owned. But it didn't "speak to me" like my favorite old strats from the past. Of all the guitars I've got rid of, I miss two old beater strats the most.

I start my search tomorrow for a "player"...

18. CS'56

CS'56 Member

That's a shame. Masterbuilt instruments all have the signature of the builder on the back of the headstock. If it's a Team Built Strat, how in the world did they come up with John English??? :NUTS

19. SLG

SLG Member

I pulled the trigger and then they bring the case out and they "can't find" the COA. Hmmm. Turns out the guitar is just a normal team built strat. Still a good deal, but not a great one. I passed.

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. If it doesn't have the original paperwork and case then you really need to decide whether you are buying the guitar because it's a great player and you plan on keeping it, or if you are buying it because it has some collectible value. It doesn't matter if the guitar is new or not. There are plenty of posts on the Gear Page of people that bought NEW guitars that turned out to not have the original case, paperwork, or the WRONG paperwork for the guitar they purchased.

There's nothing wrong with buying a guitar simply because it is a good deal. Often times, it's the only way you can try out some of these Custom Shop & boutique guitars without risking a lot of money. If you are able to buy the guitar, own it for a while, and re-sell it and recoup all of your money you're in good shape. Having said that, I seldom buy a guitar simply because it is a good deal. Good deals come along all the time.

20. jpage

I asked that question with a deserved look of annoyance on my face, believe me.