192? Gibson Nick Lucas

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by BmoreTele, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

My grandfather bought this new.

I got it after my brother kept it under his bed for a few years.

Its been through its share of use and abuse.

I had a DeArmond sound hole pup for a few years, dropped a clock radio on it, replaced the original tuners with grovers, and played the hell out of it.

I checked the label and sent in the serial number to Gibson. Somebody responded that it was a 1926 model ... maybe, not 100% sure and the pencil mark serial number is too faded to read anymore.

Sounds great. I keep it tuned a full step down. Goes to my son the piano player and hopefully to whichever one of his sons picks up a guitar.

cheapgtrs likes this.
  2. BmoreTele

How do I post the pic?

3. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Start by going to the media button on TGP tool bar at the top. Then go to "Add media."

4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

You need to use a file sharing site and copy the URL - Photobucket used to be the go to, but that went horribly wrong this summer so everyone has migrated to other places. I use www.picload.org.

Nick Lucas guitars changed spec pretty much constantly so dating them from a photo to within a year or so is fairly easy. 1928 was the first year they appeared in the catalogue. A '28 would have a short two tier bridge with a spare pin behind the ones in use, then they went to a rectangular bridge in '29-'30, then in '31 the body shape changed.

They also have an inked FON (factory order number) that can be checked against Joe Spann's book on pre war Gibsons based on the old ledgers - it may well correspond to a known batch of NLs. Look for a stamped number on the inside of the neck block. I seem to have lost my copy but someone else in here might have one. FONs were different to serial numbers in that they were batch numbers rather than individual serial numbers, so if you've no serial number they're an alternative way to pin down the date - the cheaper guitars often only have FONs.

5. BmoreTele

6. MartinPiana

You no longer need a file sharing site. You can load directly from your desktop to TGP. See my previous post in the thread.

7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Gorgeous guitar - I love that late 20s sunburst, such an elegant looking colour.

Based on the bridge design it's fairly safe to say this guitar is a 1928.

I don't know why someone at Gibson would say it's a '26, as there was no Nick Lucas guitar in 1926. '26 was the first year of the flat top L-1 and L-0 but the Nick Lucas followed later, first appearing in literature in 1928. The early L-1s had pumpkin coloured tops and pyramid bridges, switching to the rubbed sunburst and seven pin bridge your guitar has some way into 1927. There again, aside from cashing in on the Robert Johnson connection Gibson don't seem to have a lot of respect or interest in the early flat tops.

Here's my '26, a bit of an L-1/L-0 hybrid with features from both

[​IMG]

I thought that was just for supporting members? I had a quick look and there's no 'add media' option for me.

Gus54, Mr. Mercy and e??? like this.
  8. MartinPiana

Ah, you may be right. If so, sorry about that.

9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Gibson was never great at dating their own guitars. I've seen letters from Gibson that were 6-7 years off.