1940's/1950's Parlour/Parlor Guitars

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by treborillusion, Jun 13, 2018.

1. treborillusion

treborillusion Member

Before Stella introduced their steel reinforced necks.

I have a 1950's Italian Catania Carmelo.
    I bought it at my local music shop when the owner knew not what they said;
    Sold me it based it it's original Italian department store/seller's sticker.
    I found out with minor detective work what I bought;
    Found a guitar that looks a lot like mine, I'm still up in the air if it's mine depending on the angle of the photo and what looks like it's manufacture sticker Vs. that old misleading seller's sticker my one has - and to find out how much it sold for, I'd have to sign up.
    It was an auction in my county in England in Surrey, it was a Surrey auction house, somewhere in Surrey, and that's the only other place I've seen it/one of these on Earth.
    There was another one, less decorative on Reverb asking £275.00 and I paid £200.00 on it and it was sold called something else.
    I had it cleaned up, minor hairline crack repaired, showed signs of a repaired history, but sounds and plays fine.
    This was while I was online looking at the American Stella by Harmony H929, 1940's/early 1950's pre steel reinforced neck guitars; I bought it from a guitar store in NYC, they used FedEx; after import duty & VAT, I cost me as much on the £300.00 guitar as it did getting it to me; but it came, fast, used an issue of the New Yorker as packing;
    Stock.
    I also think a SouthPaw person owned it before me, because it's got a 'upside' sticker and the ageing mark mirror the other examples I saw (this costing the most but also being the nicest most paint less dented/scratched example of this guitar).
    It's..

They're both cheap guitars but....
    The European one (the auction online from Surrey called it an Early 50's Catania Carmello) so they're both the same guitar type, both the same age, both don't have truss rods in their necks.
    - The European guitar, is nicer, the American guitar is cooler.
    So cool in fact that, after I bought it earlier this year, and played on it, loved its tone/vibe in a different way to that other guitar with another cool tone and feel; I dug it's vibe even though the other one was nicer; this one sounded cool, like, deal with devil level cool right; this guitar is like the devil and I had it shipped to England; I found out after accepting all that about the sound and feel and mojo; I found out Elvis had one, and not in the harder to find but personally sought out yellow/banana finish that was on this make and model when I spent time listening to tones that sounded cool; Elvis has one, in the same more common Tiger Burst finish my one is.

American Parlor Guitar out of Chicago, IL after Harmony bought Stella from Oscar Schmidt Company and moved production from Jersey City, NJ in the 1940's and produced them on the cheap.
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/7906833-1950-s-harmony-stella-parlor-guitar

Italian/European Parlour Guitar
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/it-it/...0008/lot-b1d8e66d-aad9-4dd9-9641-a430018ad4a8
    (The guitar I might have)?

(The night I bought).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. treborillusion

treborillusion Member

3. treborillusion

treborillusion Member

Catania Carmelo
    (The night I bought it).
    (The night I bought it).