1940s Yamaha dreadnoughts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dusty tolex, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dusty tolex

dusty tolex Member

Hi,

Someone is offering a Yamaha Nippon Gakki dreadnought locally, model 2-50A (from the soundhole label), with a stamp, 47.6.28, on one of the braces. I haven't played it.

Does anyone know if Yamaha was making dreads in the 40s? Or does anyone have any info on these models?

Thanks!

dt

2. chaz

chaz Member

Rather unlikely that they'd be making them during the WWII years don't you think, unless they were intended as diabolical secret weapons in which case you should have it defused!

3. chaz

chaz Member

Sorry, couldn't resist! I don't know for certain but I highly doubt the company goes back quite that far.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yamaha started out making musical instruments - their logo is 3 crossed tuning forks - with more serious manufacturing coming later.

But 1947 was 2 years after the war ended, the country was in ruins, and I suspect making acoustic guitars wasn't on anyone's high-priority list. I could be wrong - I was that other time - but I'm wondering if the "47" refers to Showa 47, which was the 47th year of Hirohito's reign, which was in the mid-1970s if memory serves. They were definitely making guitars then, and they weren't bad, but more recent ones are much better.

5. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Though Yamaha made its very first acoustic sometime in the 40's, you're likely looking at a 1960's or early 70's guitar. And though the stamp looks like a date, Yamahas were not date-stamped. The serials are not easily deciphered, and they vary in format (letters and numbers in various combinations) as the years go by.
    What you can tell is if it's Nippon Gakki, red label, it was one of the early ones made in Japan before the Taiwan factory opened.

6. dusty tolex

dusty tolex Member

That's what I thought - the seller had been told it was a date, I was a bit incredulous. But there's no info around on the model number. So I wonder if anyone knows about these non FG-model guitars.

BTW, the US was doing good work in Japan right after the war, getting the country back on its feet under a democratic constitution. Getting industry going again would have been an important early step.

cheers
    dt