1948 Fender Princeton

tweedtwin

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a 1948 Fender Princeton. It is untouched internally. I wish to use it and the power supply caps are ruptured. On the schematic it shows 3x8uf for filters. My amp has stock from the factory 3x16uf. Is too much filtering going to kill the response of the amp? I found a place on line that has Mallory 12uf caps and I thought that might be a happy medium. I thought that the 16uf caps were overkill but it has run like this for 60 years so maybe I should just use the same value?

Please help!

phsyconoodler

you likely won't notice a huge difference from 8uf to 16uf.The 12uf caps you found will be just fine.
There are lots of places to get 8uf,but it might be a bit light on filtering.

tweedtwin

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Phsyconoodler,

I thought the 12uf caps would work well. Does anyone know the speaker impedance of the early Princeton? If the tone caps are shot I have some tested NOS Astron Yellow caps. I am dying to hear the amp working properly. So from 8uf to 16 wouldn't there be more bottom end and tighter response? I just figured adding 50% more filtering would quiet it down and add more low end. So I went with 12uf caps.

tweedtwin

phsyconoodler

An increase in filtering will tighten up the bottom end to some degree,but on an amp that small it may not do a whole lot.There's not a huge amount of bottom end to start with!

tweedtwin

Silver Supporting Member
The other reason I asking about over filtering was that in Gerald Weber's book he was talking about early champs and said specifically not to change the values of the filter caps because it would kill the envelope and attack of the amp. Any thoughts?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I had a 1952 Princeton "TV Tweed" amp and I loved the envelope and attack, pure sag and chiming anger. You can always swap those caps out if you try them first and you think there's something missing still.

tweedtwin

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Jahn,

I have seen your clips on youtube. That amp is the reason I wanted a tv front Princeton in the first place. It sounded incredible. How come you sold it? I found this 48' Princeton and had to have it. Did yours have all the stock value componenets inside? Do you have any pics of the guts of the 52?

Thanks Tweedtwin

Trending Topics