• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1949 D28 - what's a fair price?

Martyk

Good condtn, neck reset, minor repaired cracks, usual dings, newer hsc, but otherwise pretty darn good shape.

15,000? I plain don't know and need some opinions.

PS I'm buying, not selling!
Thanks.

mrbungel

Excellent condition, with little or no changes,
in the real world.....$7,500 - $9,000.

15 grand is way too high, unless it's all orig and minty mint.

Martyk

Excellent condition, with little or no changes,
in the real world.....$7,500 - $9,000.

15 grand is way too high, unless it's all orig and minty mint.
Really? That's all? And I did check those dealers and their prices are MUCH higher!

doublee

15k does seem high, but if youre really serious then post this on umgf, Tgp isnt the best place for you for something like this.

terrapin

I'm not a dealer, just trying to give a ball park, real world price.
I'll stick by those numbers.
I think these numbers are a HUGE lowball. Check with people who really know. Gruhn Guitars, Mandolin Bros...

If it were my guitar to sell I would NEVER let it go for these prices, real world or not. I would sit on it and watch it appreciate!!!

But there are alot of detals missing which George Gruhn will help you clarify.

Martyk

Thank you to everybody. I had my eyes on one, looks good, but was wondering about the drop-off after '47 - post herringbone and scalloped braces. I guess the price drop off is pretty steep!

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
I think these numbers are a HUGE lowball. Check with people who really know. Gruhn Guitars, Mandolin Bros...

If it were my guitar to sell I would NEVER let it go for these prices, real world or not. I would sit on it and watch it appreciate!!!

But there are alot of detals missing which George Gruhn will help you clarify.

Have to agree. Look at Steve Swan's website and call him, too - I was just at his place and he has a few 40's and 50's D-28's in stock so you can check prices. Low 5 digits sounds a lot more realistic vs. $7,500.

And as for Post-War Martins - yes, there is a price drop off, but they have their own reputations for greatness. Pre-war Martins with the scalloped braces and forward-X bracing have a more bell-like fundamental in the tone - excellent for certain types of playing. Mid-40's through '48, to my knowledge, have tapered braces - still sculpted but designed to take a bit heavier-gauged string (which is why Martin strengthened the bracing and moved the X back a bit - to handle the higher tension). These guitars are known for having a lot more "cut" vs. the pre-wars, so they stand out in a mix, especially for lead work. In '49 they went to straight / untapered bracing - and again tone was affected; there are fans of this tighter tonality, too...

Do some research and get a feel for how your playing style lines up with the different feature combo's...I have a '48 D-18 that is, to me, the Telecaster of acoustics - articulate, responsive, versatile.

Martyk

Have to agree. Look at Steve Swan's website and call him, too - I was just at his place and he has a few 40's and 50's D-28's in stock so you can check prices. Low 5 digits sounds a lot more realistic vs. $7,500.

And as for Post-War Martins - yes, there is a price drop off, but they have their own reputations for greatness. Pre-war Martins with the scalloped braces and forward-X bracing have a more bell-like fundamental in the tone - excellent for certain types of playing. Mid-40's through '48, to my knowledge, have tapered braces - still sculpted but designed to take a bit heavier-gauged string (which is why Martin strengthened the bracing and moved the X back a bit - to handle the higher tension). These guitars are known for having a lot more "cut" vs. the pre-wars, so they stand out in a mix, especially for lead work. In '49 they went to straight / untapered bracing - and again tone was affected; there are fans of this tighter tonality, too...

Do some research and get a feel for how your playing style lines up with the different feature combo's...I have a '48 D-18 that is, to me, the Telecaster of acoustics - articulate, responsive, versatile.

Steve Swan - great inventory - but who is he?

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Steve Swan - great inventory - but who is he?

Read his bio on his website - deeply connected into the vintage and small-batch guitar-making universe. Has consistently great inventory and low-key but very helpful approach to working with you as you figure out what you like...

Here's a thread from the Acoustic Guitar Forum listing some of the top boutique luthiers and their connection to The Santa Cruz Guitar Company - Steve is part of that network...

Martyk

Well, to wrap this up, I wound up buying a 46 D-18 from Steve Swan and I couldn't be happier. He talked me through a lot of options and gave generously of his time and information. I decided that the tapered bracing of 45-47 was really more for me than the scalloped of pre-45 or the straight bracing of post-47ish. I was right, the guitar sounds amazing to my ears. I didn't even know of the tapered bracing that Martin used for those couple of years, and to me it gives me the right amount of balance I was looking for.

FYI - Steve Swan is a great guy to deal with. Located in Burlingame , CA, but he will ship anyway with time to review your purchase. Very cool!

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Well, to wrap this up, I wound up buying a 46 D-18 from Steve Swan and I couldn't be happier. He talked me through a lot of options and gave generously of his time and information. I decided that the tapered bracing of 45-47 was really more for me than the scalloped of pre-45 or the straight bracing of post-47ish. I was right, the guitar sounds amazing to my ears. I didn't even know of the tapered bracing that Martin used for those couple of years, and to me it gives me the right amount of balance I was looking for.

FYI - Steve Swan is a great guy to deal with. Located in Burlingame , CA, but he will ship anyway with time to review your purchase. Very cool!
Awesome - was it the one with the 4-piece Adi top? I *loved* that guitar!

Top Bottom