1950's Fender Stratocaster and Tweed Amp

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Here are a couple of cool Fender pieces owned by a fellow close by. I believe he purchased the guitar and amp separately but within the year of 1960. The guitar is a Hardtail and likely from 1958 or '59. Looks like a three-tone sunburst, no? Btw, the lefty Strat is my 2000 '57 American Vintage.

Late 1950's Fender Stratocaster Hardtail and Fender tweed Tremolux (sorry for bad pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

More pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lucaso

lucaso Member

Friggin' sweet dude! I hope I get to play a 50s Strat someday. He's a lucky dude.

4. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

5. Dashface

Dashface Member

Very cool stuff - but also a good advertisement for a real camera :D

...Not that I'd say no to owning any of that stuff. Good on ya for getting it on here so we can drool :)

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Very cool, although his action looks insanely high in one of the photos!

7. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks guys, I thought you would enjoy.

Yes, bad camera and bad camera skills, as seen in my attempts to capture the neck plate serial number. :)

When my friend and I planned the visit to this fellow's farm, I had a hunch that there would be no strings on the guitar, and, I was right! Luckily, I brought a set along just so we could try it out.

Being a lefty, I wasn't able to get the full experience from playing it, but my friend did. We both agreed that it sounded great and he mentioned that it played nicely as well. Surprisingly too, as all I did was put new strings on; no setup work and the action was actually low. Just the angle of the pic.

We didn't get to fire up the Tremolux as it would not power. If it were mine, I would have that amp in top form. This fellow obviously wasn't playing anymore and he literally kept the guitar under his bed. He did know that he owned some fairly valuable pieces though.

I ended up there because I worked with this gentleman's wife and she wanted me to "come out and see Bruce's guitar!" Practically twisted my arm! ;)

I'm glad you guys like and aren't being too hard on me for the bad pics. The owners are likely in their early to mid-70s now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Man...I wish I could land a find like that...and then walk away with it :)

9. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Thats awesome....does it still have the 3 way switch? A guy who lives near me has and original 1962 strat. I played it and tried the switch in between positions, and, lo and behold! Stratty quack! He was really impressed.
    Give is a try if it has the original 3 way. its very cool, a neat discovery.

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

If I would ever desire a Strat it would have to be a non-trem. A '59-'60 Tremolux is all the amp anyone would ever need!!! I gigged one for years and kept up with drums and higher power-rated amps no sweat! Great stuff!

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

FWIW: Tell him not to plug that amp in. If he wants to use it again, it needs to be gone over by a qualified tech and probably have the electrolytic caps replaced. They dry out over time and don't function correctly. If he does get it to power up, he'll risk blowing the transformers and the value will drop by half or more. Just sayin'...

12. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Meh.... looks like a three piece body.:messedup

(har har, just kidding!!!)

13. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Old man? Under the bed? Yeah, that'll be the original switch.
    There's a really old gent across my street w/ a 50's P-bass. I can Not get him to part w/ it, dang it. What are they thinking. I bet his daughter inherits the thing in a few years, gives it to some boyfriend. I just hope it doesn't get stripped or whatever.

14. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I should mention that these pics are from 10 years ago. I do know that the owner is still alive. My FIL contacted him a while back about the instrument and the owner said that he wasn't planning to sell.

When I worked with his wife, she told me that the guitar just layed around the house for years and their kids would pick it up and strum on it whenever they felt like.

At the time of these pics, the guitar was in pretty nice shape. It also was in its original condition and featured a 3-way switch.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Bump for anyone who missed...