1950's Gretsch Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chicago Slim, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I was in a local resale shop, where I came across an old Gretsch amp, with an oval (6X9?) speaker. I would guess that it's from the late 50's to early 60's, from the speaker magnet. It's hard to tell, with the looks of Gretsch amps. Maybe a 5 watt, 3 tube amp.

Does anyone know what these are worth?

Are they simply collectors?

How good can they sound with an oval speaker?

If I rewire the speaker output, do I loose the collector value?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Couple hundred bucks maybe more but hard to tell. The REAL collectible ones are like the Roundup series. I have owned two Gretsch amps (Valco). One was a 6161 with twin ovals and two 6973 tubes.

Look and see if you can recognize it here:
    http://gretschpages.com/

3. erksin

erksin Member

It's a Rola 6x11" speaker, FWIW...

Did it have tremolo?

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The has: 1 - 5Y3, 1 - 6V6, 2 preamp tubes, 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 tremelo control. It's in really good shape. They are asking 150.00

5. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I'm a sucker for small amps. Sound like a decent price. Buy it, recap and enjoy for another 50 years. My 2 cents.

6. cameron

cameron Member

For $150 I'd be much tempted. The oval speaker is a weird curiosity. It's probably a similar circuit to the Supro amp (Supro was Valco's own brand - but they made most of the Gretsch amps as well) that Top Hat based their Portly Cadet amp on (generally comparable to a Tweed Champ, but with a distinct voice of its own).

7. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

In good shape? Buy it.

8. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

In good shape? Buy it.

erksin is right too about the speaker. They are a really odd sounding setup but cool in a good way.

Mine was like this one. 2 6 X 11 Rola with a little tweeter in the corner. That model had trem and one of the best trems I ever heard at that. Swamp thing!!!

[​IMG]

9. erksin

erksin Member

Same circuit as my old Supro S6416T then...

[​IMG]

$150 is a great price, IMO - but I'd guess it to be an early '60s model, not a '50s.

Don't expect a lot of gain/saturation from it - pretty honky lo-fi blues tones ala Hubert Sumlin. The trem is fantastic...

10. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Got it yet?

Grab it while you can!!!

Good Luck,

Johnny

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I went by with my guitar, but the owner of the store wasn't there. I'm trying to deal on it, and get it even cheaper. They're moving the store next month, so they want to reduce inventory.

12. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Just be careful about bargaining your way out of an amp. I'd hate for you to go back and it be gone...

Also, you'll probably want to read up on it using the Valco newsgroup on Yahoo - tons of great info and a huge archive of posts from years of questions...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Magnatone-Valco/messages?o=1

Post some pics once you get it:)

13. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Flash him one Ben and he'd bite I bet. Post pics and clips if you nab it. I am fond of Valco amps.

14. Lewis Ford

Lewis Ford Member

I have one just like this but it's slightly bigger and has a cadillac type handle instead. I'm trying to sell it. Could you advise me ofany knowledge on it and its value? its serial number is T60930 and apparently it's an Executive 6163 but I can't find a great of info about it, only the Playboy variation. Any knowledge and advice would be awesome. I have pics and an catalogue spec descripiton if that's any help.

Cheers

15. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Usually the model number is stenciled in black ink inside on the bottom of the cab. This sounds like a 6150T. I have one and it is indeed a 6x9 speaker. They came with 8' Jensens too. In decent working condition they routinely sell on ebay for $300-$400. Pretty much a Champ killer. I'll offer $200 if you don't take it.

Does it look like this one?
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/320594...fa399a1&itemid=320594606199&ff4=263602_304662

16. GA20T

GA20T Member

I'm familiar with these. Oval speaker or no, they are a great home use/ recording amp. As others have stated, it's most definitely a Valco amplifier, probably corresponding to a Supro model with different cosmetics. Wish they could be had as cheap as the one you've found but the above estimate re eBay prices is accurate. If I could find them for $150 I'd buy 10 of them.

17. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Jump on it, spec for a player, add a 1/4 speaker jack for an external cab and be smiling another 50 years.