1951(?) Gibson GA-20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Schroeder, May 11, 2008.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

I just found a Gibson GA-20 at a garage sale. Really lucky find. This amp appears completely original. A little rough around the edges but still has the Jensen Alnico speaker with serial number 220106, which I gather means it is a 1951 amp(?). From what I read online, the first three numbers (220) indicate the brand, Jensen, the 4th number (1) indicates the last number of the year, 1951, and the last two are the week of the year. All three pots have a code that appears to be EG B 6150689 105. Looks like everything is original on the chassis but there are some loose wires where connections appear to have been broken. The power chord is intact and in good condition. Still has the original chicken head knobs. Missing the G badge on the front of the amp and also missing the leather handle.

Anyone have any info about dating this amp? I can't see a serial number on the chassis. I have heard that Gibson serial numbers are less reliable than codes on components though. Anyone have pics of the chassis?

Can't wait to get this thing up and running.

2. Structo

Structo Member

Good find, those are great amps.

3. sideman

sideman Member

The speaker should be a good indication of age. I have a 1952 GA-20 which is my favorite small amp. Fattest tone ever, with smooth compression. Killer jazz amp. It's the one at about 4:00 in this pic:
    http://www.poupart.com/us/andy/amps/gibsons.html.

4. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Hey Sideman,
    I was actually perusing your site earlier! Great info and pics. Thanks a lot. So is that correct about the date on the speaker then? 4th number is last number of year? So yours would be a XXX2XX? Thanks a bunch. I am really glad to hear a lot of guys digging the tone of these. Really jonesin' to hear this! There is a clip on youtube of a guy playing a blues harp through a GA-20 and it sounds amazing. But I can't find anything with a guitar. I found a local guy who has a lot of knowledge of amps from this era. I also wanted to talk to Buffalo Amps. Looks like he is an authority on the GA-20.

Thanks again.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Sounds like a '51 to me.

Awesome amp.

6. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

7. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

8. sideman

sideman Member

That's the stuff. Schroder - that's not my site - just used it to show an early '50s GA-20. Mine looks more like the above. Another great vintage Gibson 18 w is the mid-50's GA-6.

9. mrmax

mrmax Member

I've got one and several other tweed amps, be careful, the Tweed Jones is a BAD ONE! They're very addictive and sinfully delicious, enjoy! :cool::YinYang:cool::YinYang:cool::YinYang:BEER

10. mrmax

mrmax Member

That pic looked like it was taken at my house ; I have a Ga6 ,Ga20 ,Ga50, Ga40, Ga5T, Ga19, a couple of tweed Harmony's and an Epiphone...Tweed is truly addicting!:drool:drool:drool

11. smelly_sneakers

smelly_sneakers Member

As a new owner of a 1954 Gibson GA 20, I was hoping someone could help me. The problem I’m having is it is missing the back panel when I purchased it. I have a piece of redwood and I found the matching tolex but I do not have the actual measurements of the original rear panel. Would anyone be able to provide me with the overall height of the panel and the L x H of the vent holes and proximity of them on the panel (how far in from the side and how high are they from the bottom edge). With this information I would be able to construct a replacement.

I would greatly appreciate it and would be thankful for your help!