1951 tele bridge pickup shootout

A or B

• A

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • B

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

jzilla

Curious to hear your opinions on this... Same guitar ('51 tele) with two different bridge pickups (A and B). I tried to keep the playing and loudness close but of course there are some slight differences. Mic and preamp are the same. Amp settings are the same.

Take the poll so I can track the results. Thanks!

ripgtr

A is brighter
B is darker and fuller.
Can't say I prefer one over the other until I ran it through my rig, playing what I would play on it.

Like the backdrop pic, looks like maybe a '60?

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer A. Would love to hear clips with an overdriven amp.

fretshop

Curious to hear your opinions on this... Same guitar ('51 tele) with two different bridge pickups (A and B). I tried to keep the playing and loudness close but of course there are some slight differences. Mic and preamp are the same. Amp settings are the same.

Take the poll so I can track the results. Thanks!

I am a friend and customer of Brett's and hang out on the West Coast Blues Thread. I've been a guitar builder and restorer since 1967, and am always interested in what's going on in the pickup world.

I like 2a as far as these recordings go. I'd like to here 'em all through a dimed Vibrolux reverb, a Deluxe, or a Blues Junior. I mentioned the BJ because several of my clients use them for club dates, and I'm always looking for pickups that will make everyone happy...It an't easy though (LOL).

We do alot of vintage Tele restorations, and lately the Foggy Mountain Guitars rewinds and custom order pickups have been a BIG hit. The Fender 51 Nocaster bridge pickup has been quite popular as well, but it doesn't have quite the touch sensitivity that FM pickups have.

I may be relocating to Woodstock soon. If any thread members are from up in that area, shoot me a P.M.

Best to all.

Last edited:

RockinRob

I dunno man. I consider myself to have good ears and I just didn't hear enough here to really prefer one over the other. Whatever differences there are would appear to be easily compensated for with a slight nudge of the EQ. Neither seems particularly hotter than the other.

nl128

Silver Supporting Member
I dunno man. I consider myself to have good ears and I just didn't hear enough here to really prefer one over the other. Whatever differences there are would appear to be easily compensated for with a slight nudge of the EQ. Neither seems particularly hotter than the other.
I feel the same I didn't hear a big enough difference to like one over the other. It kind of sounds like the same pickup.

jonnytexas

I could hear a difference, but can't say I like one over the other. I thought they both sounded very good.

Deed_Poll

Both very good, I think I prefer B overall but A sounded more Tele-like to me, and it depended on what you were playing. Some of the more jazzy numbers where you're picking further from the bridge sounded better with A to my ears. The thing I liked about B was it seemed to have some of that hollow Peter Green out of phase type tone, whilst I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea I really like that kind of sound. But both sounded great, and quite similar.

Ritualee

Silver Supporting Member
Boy, I feel like I hear a big difference. I love A, while B, to me, sounds like it has an almost cocked-wah quality that might be neat for a part but isn't something I want to base my tone from. I pretty much kept hearing nuances to the sound of A that I really liked and really kept my ear interested whereas with B I felt like there was a strongly identifiable "accent" that I wasn't crazy about and it was all I could hear.

Also- this sounds like it's a freaking great tele. So solid! I love it. It can't be a real '51, right? You wouldn't be swapping pickups in that...???

Curious to know what these pickups were.