1951 tele bridge pickup shootout

A or B

• A

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • B

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

jzilla

Thanks, all. In person, the two pickups feel quite different from each other. A is much more compressed (verified by comparing the waveforms) which is nice because you don't get the laser high end, and you can get a nice percussive snap when yanking on the strings. But B sounds more open - less masking of frequencies - i think that may be due to a less prominent low mid-range (frequencies mask upwards). B sounds very pure to me.

So A is a Lollar flat pole; I believe it's a 52 T-series but not 100% sure of the model. B is a custom one-off job made for a dealer-friend who sold me the tele. I don't even know the name of the pickup builder but will find out for you guys.

(Amp is a blackface Vibrolux Reverb.)

Epilogue:
Life is funny...so the day after I recorded these shootout clips, a friend found an all-original, early '52 Fender Champion lapsteel. Those of you who know your ish know that up to mid '52 or so, these lapsteels have the same electronics as the teles. So I made a deal and bought the pot, knobs, pickup, cap, wiring, etc and put it in the tele. Looks like I'm going to have to add pickup C clips to the shootout now... Unfortunately, everyone will know which is which so it won't be a blind test.

StevenO

I was thinking these were actual early Fender bridge pickups. I have to say, I'm glad I liked A as it sounded a lot like my Tele partsmasters that has Lollar 52 T pickups, and sure enough! Very cool great playing as well. :)

jzilla

I was thinking these were actual early Fender bridge pickups. I have to say, I'm glad I liked A as it sounded a lot like my Tele partsmasters that has Lollar 52 T pickups, and sure enough! Very cool great playing as well. :)
Thanks, StevenO! Yeah, that Lollar is a lot of fun in this guitar though I think it's more colored than the other pickup. But the coloration is very musical...

foggymt

Pickup B was created for Reuben Cox of Old Style Guitars in Los Angles. He requested a pickup as close to 51 specs as possible.

Input was sourced from The Black Guard Book and George Goumas of the Fretworks in New Jersey.

I used Alnico 3 magnets and heavy build 42awg Formvar magnet wire.

When I listen to the B clips, the difference I notice most is that I can hear more note separation when the guitar is strummed. That part occurred near the end of some of the samples.

This clarity is something I find when a larger diameter mag wire is selected. The weaker magnets tend to dampen the strings less and could explain the brightness.

Some people identified some compression in the A clips (Lollar).

Jason Lollar makes several Telecaster pickups so, without an examination you couldn’t be sure of its specifications. Perhaps the pickup is marked such that Jason could identify it from a picture.

If I had to speculate on the construction of pickup A, I would expect to find Alnico 5 magnets and single build poly nylon coated wire, but that’s just a guess.

Thanks for the mention
Brett Brubaker

jzilla

Pickup B was created for Reuben Cox of Old Style Guitars in Los Angles. He requested a pickup as close to 51 specs as possible.

Input was sourced from The Black Guard Book and George Goumas of the Fretworks in New Jersey.

I used Alnico 3 magnets and heavy build 42awg Formvar magnet wire.

When I listen to the B clips, the difference I notice most is that I can hear more note separation when the guitar is strummed. That part occurred near the end of some of the samples.

This clarity is something I find when a larger diameter mag wire is selected. The weaker magnets tend to dampen the strings less and could explain the brightness.

Some people identified some compression in the A clips (Lollar).

Jason Lollar makes several Telecaster pickups so, without an examination you couldn’t be sure of its specifications. Perhaps the pickup is marked such that Jason could identify it from a picture.

If I had to speculate on the construction of pickup A, I would expect to find Alnico 5 magnets and single build poly nylon coated wire, but that’s just a guess.

Thanks for the mention
Brett Brubaker
Thanks for chiming in, Brett! Awesome pickup. Thanks for the explanation!
-j

MR.K

I like to hear more spank and twang in a Tele bridge. Is the tone contol wide open or rolled off in your example? I set up the bridge to bite without being harsh. I'll roll back the tone control and get a tone like your example. When I want country twang I'll open it full up and turn down the volume. It's been said before, a good Telecaster will do it all.

jzilla

I just put in orig electronics (inc pickup, pots and the cap) and the guitar is bright! I'm curious to hear both the Lollar and Brett's pickups with this original harness now in there. I don't know the pot values but I have a feeling they're different than what was in there before.

Trending Topics