1956 Fender Pro amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KurtisAZ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Supporting Member

Played a vintage 1956 fender pro amp with a Gretsch Black Falcon at guitar center yesterday. Played it after blackface RI Twin Reverb, Deluxe, and Stapleton Princeton, as well as a Tone King Imperial II. Of all the amps it seemed to be the weakest. Are 15” speakers just less punchy at mid volume or is this just how it goes with vintage speakers, old amps? Was interested in buying a 15” amp, but this amp may have changed my mind. Any commentary holler back.

2. hogy

hogy Member

15" speakers sound horrible for guitar. Fact of life.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Hogy’s opinion aside, it IS a verifiable fact that 15” speakers cannot respond as quickly as 12” or 10”, due to their size, and so they are relatively less punchy.

Whether you favor that or not is up to you.

Muttlyboy and KurtisAZ like this.
  4. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

A buddy of mine has an Amp built by Billy Penn with a 15...It sounds awesome. I don't know if if it might sound even better still with a 12, but that's the only amp that I ever tried with a 15, and it's a killer.

And, as far as fifteens sounding horrible for guitar...

I've heard of some guy Stevie Ray Something-or-other...
    Supposedly played through Vibroverbs with 15s.

Some people seem to say that he had pretty good tone, but what do I know.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  5. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

SRV sounded pretty darn good with a 15"

6. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

You mean this guy?

bloozeman1 and Muttlyboy like this.
  7. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

Yeah....That's the Guy!

Seems that He knew his way around that Guit-thing.

Ya know, I think I like his sound. But again, what do I know.

Red House likes this.
  8. hogy

hogy Member

Talent trumps gear, to a certain extent. He did sound much, much better through a Super Reverb.

QRSS, Muttlyboy and KurtisAZ like this.
  9. KurtisAZ

Well he played a bunch of super reverbs too didn’t he? Which are 10”s, and what speakers did he use w his dumbles does anyone know? I know this could all be googled but I enjoy the discourse. I currently play an open back 12” but want to expirement more with speakers, 2x10 and 3x10 fenders, 1x15 fenders etc. thanks all

Muttlyboy likes this.
  10. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

That's fair enough.
    I'm sure he could have made any kind of equipment sound great under almost any circumstances.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  11. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I do love Super Reverbs enough to have thought that I love 10" speakers.
    Turns out that love Super Reverbs with the original CTS Alnico Tens.
    I don't particularly like the sound of my Super Reverb with Italian Jensen ceramic 10s.

That 56 Pro that you checked out may be a similar situation.

That particular Pro might not be in the best operational condition.

I tried ONE amp with a 15, and it was a good experience , but maybe Hogy is correct , and I would like it even better with a 12.

These days I do think that I like 12s better than 10s, but maybe I haven't met the right 10, which is fair because I've heard 12s that I didn't care for.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  12. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

yea man, that guitar sounds horrible o_O:D

Red House likes this.
  13. KurtisAZ

Im going to rule that it probably comes down to the specific speaker as much as the dimensions. Is the super reverb similar in circuit to any other fender design or is it pretty unique?

14. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

Super Reverb is very similar to the other Blackface and Silverface with a few particular differences.

Some earlier Super Reverbs have a couple different values in the tone stack which provides a bit different midrange.
    Also, the SR has the midrange knob in the Vibrato Channel ( Only other Blackface amp with a midrange knob is a Twin Reverb)

Super Reverbs have much bigger output transformers than all of the other Blackface two 6L6 amps (except for the Bassman head)

Another feature is it has a tube rectifier (some Fender amps have a solid state rectifier)

And the last thing that I can think of is the the SR has a 2 ohm output transformer which effects the negative feedback of the amp (I think it's set up with less negative feedback for more distortion)

...Oh, one more, Voltages to the preamp tubes are higher than the other 2x6L6 amps.

Gemini2, KurtisAZ and Pedro58 like this.
  15. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I thought SRV used the VV's to power a Leslie cab...

I've played a vintage VV next to a vintage BFSR and BFTR. Several guitar nerds present, and all preferred the Super. The Vibroverb was a solid third. YMMV.

And on the tweed Pro thing, I owned a repro of the 5E5-A Pro and preferred it with 12" speakers. I spent a lot of money and time on 15's, to no avail. I currently own a 5D5 Pro clone and it came with a terrible sounding 15. It has two 10" Webers in it now and sounds wonderful.

16. KurtisAZ

Major differences in the three sound wise? Thank you for your insight!

17. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Isn't a tweed Pro amp only like a 26 watt amp?

If it was a true '56 what kind of maintenance has been done to it?

18. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Personally, I wouldn't pass judgement on any type of amp or speaker based on what you find used at Guitar Center. It's not like they put much effort into maximizing the performance of used gear they put out on the floor.

Muttlyboy and Pedro58 like this.
  19. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Which three? The blackfaces?
    A Twin Reverb is crystal clean and has tons of headroom. If you want drive, you'll need pedals or crazy volumes. I prefer the Pro Reverb in the 2X12 format, but it does not have a mid control. Alas.
    The Vibroverb doesn't have a mid control, either, but it doesn't matter. The 15" speaker has harsh/spiky highs and tremendous low end. The mids just aren't there. The single speaker configuration doesn't take advantage of reverb.
    The Super Reverb, IMO, is the king of the Fender amps, even the tweeds. It just sounds big, even when it's not loud, and the mid control helps fill the sound in the crucial guitar frequencies. I'd still have one if it wasn't so heavy and loud, and I wasn't so old and weak.

20. KurtisAZ

Any opinions on how the more portable vibrolux stacks up with the super? Thanks all.