1956 Fender Pro amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KurtisAZ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking the Vibroverb you played didn't sound like this:

Gemini2 likes this.
  2. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

I have a vibroverb with a JBL 15" and a '65 super with original cheese grater speakers,together they sound pretty good,they would sound amazing if I could get my fingers out if the way.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I've heard amps that sound great for guitar with 15" speakers and many that didn't sound that great.
    Here's your food for thought, I'm in a band and the other guitar player has a tweed Pro that sounds awesome, just fantastic in every circumstance, except on the very rare occasions when I've plugged in and played it. Still good, but not quite what I want. Weird, huh. ..or, maybe my amp is just that much more awesome than the Pro? The world is full of mystery, isn't it?
    What 15 was in the one you played?
    Was it serviced/in good working order?
    and last, you're comparing an old, basic circuit amp to others with VERY different circuitry and tone.
    If they were food, you'd have tried apple pie, cherry pie, apple pie with ice cream, ... and a hamburger. All great, but one is not like the others.

4. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

He had other amps going along with it.

My experience with 15's is that they do feel less punchy. And, they can have a weird midrange.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I had a Vibrolux Reverb before I knew what I had. It was my first tube amp, and I was a sucky player. I've played through a few since, and they're half of a SR, with no mid control. I really like the mid control on SR's. In short, a Vibrolux sounds great with Gibson humbuckers, and a little shrill with Fender guitars. For Fender guitars, I prefer a Pro Reverb. With a Pro Reverb, the Gibsons sound a little tubby and dark.

crazyneddie likes this.
  6. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

That's not always true.

Here's two Vibroverbs and no Super Reverbs - I wish the sound-quality/recording was better, but his playing is off the charts as usual:

uberdave and Steviecaster like this.
  7. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

That sounds amazing. SRV is definitely the man.

Marshall, at one time, made a 4X15 cab with 15" Greenbacks.

e??? likes this.
  8. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

I was just going to post this video.

9. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

OP why not look into a tweed Bassman RI or a used HW repro? you get that big sound, plenty of punch from the 10's and that all so good tweedy sensation. BFSR's are killer but heavy if you intend on frequently moving it around. Btw I haven't had much luck with 15's either. How ever they still intrigue me.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  10. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Supporting Member

I’m going to have to. I will be trying all the flavors now, as it appears I need to flip some amps to get the real answers. Also, being a Gretsch player I’m sure the Bassman is going to be a happy pairing.

Gemini2 likes this.
  11. e???

e??? Member

Makes me feel bad for the roadies...

12. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Supporting Member

Since I’m going to be buying and selling some amps does anyone have a clue what the cheapest and safest way to ship an amp is?

13. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Gretsch and a tweed Bassman is my jam. But, I am not sure it's SRV-like, so much. I know there's some discussion about him having used some on some albums, and Jimmie uses them a lot... Similar, not exact, tone, anyways.

In all honesty, I could do gigs with my Gretsch, a reverb and my Bassman all day long and be nothing but happy. First time I plugged into my Bassman, it was like the light went on. That was the sound I'd been hearing for along time!

14. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Whether for gig-reliability or to blend "a little of this & a little of that" it seems SRV always used multiple amps onstage or when recording.

The amp directly behind SRV in the video below may be a Vibroverb. But then again, the amp right next to that is a Super Reverb...

15. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

@Muttlyboy already said.

There is a mantra in my industry: "Good/Well. Fast. Cheap. Pick any 2."

If you're going to ship amps, don't cheap out on it. You're just asking for damaged amps.

Personally, I don't even ship amps anymore, nor buy amps that have to be shipped to me. I don't trust carriers at all, and almost never trust the seller will package the amp well enough for it to survive the journey. So last long-distance amp purchase I made, I drive 6 hours one-way to pick it up myself. Low & behold, it didn't suffer a scratch in transit.

SnidelyWhiplash and KurtisAZ like this.
  16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Amp wrapped in 2" of bubble wrap in a high quality box. That box inside a second box with rigid foam or foam peanuts between the two. Pull at least the power tubes and wrap them in several layers of bubble wrap, separately (also rectifier, preamp tubes are usually OK). Ship with the chassis side down. If there's a speaker baffle/speaker try and wedge rigid foam in there to stabilize the speaker so it won't rip out of the baffle when they drop the amp. Also good to stabilize the transformers if you can...

17. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

What speaker was in the Pro? I have a tweed Super type amp with a 1x15" extension speaker and it took me a while to find a 15" that I liked. Funny thing about speakers more than any guitar or amp component that people discuss on this board is that they are highly personal. I've had people describe speakers as bright that I thought were dark and vice versa. My experience with 15s is that they vary a lot.

18. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

How about Dick Dale? Closed backed Showman and Dual Showmans might sound a bit different than an open back combo though.

19. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

These days I think Vibroluxes tend to go for more money than Super Reverbs (at least if you're talking about 60's/70s amps.
    Super sounds bigger, fuller and more clear.

A Pro Reverb is almost the exact same amp as a Vibrolux with a pair of 12" speakers instead of the 10s.

I think the only other difference (on the earlier models) are two resistors that effect the voltage to the pre-amp tubes (and maybe a higher voltage power transformer)

As the amps got to the later 70s, the Vibrolux stayed closer to the the earlier models, while the Pro Reverbs got the CBS era changes even a 70 watt version (I would pass on the 70 watt)

I like 12s more than 10s, so I would look for an earlier style Pro Reverb which also tend to be less expensive than either the Vibrolux or the Super.

20. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Don't forget that all of Stevie's amps were modded by Cesar Diaz.