1957/58 Ampeg J-10 Jet 6BQ5 Tube Amp and itroduction with pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundchaserkt66, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Soundchaserkt66

Soundchaserkt66 Member

Hello My name is Harry, I'm kinda more of an audiopile rather then a Musician. I came by something that I think may tweak your interest though. Maybe you guys are familiar, Maybe not. But any info would be appreciated. From what I can tell, This does not exist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Wow, that's really cool. From the tube chart, it seems like a Vox AC-10/15.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Is that a 10" speaker? I've never seen a Jet, or a schematic for one, using 6BQ5's. Looks like a very short lived transition amp. Ampeg was well known for changing circuit designs. Does it work and how does it sound?

4. Soundchaserkt66

Soundchaserkt66 Member

It has a 12" jensen in it, I'm perfectly capable of making it run, But I'm afraid to touch the damm thing. I think it's pretty rare and maybe pricey. So if it is, somebody will just be pissed that I started changing caps. I know somebody that was involved with writing a book on ampeg, And he wasn't familiar with it either. from what I can gather there was only like 5 of them made. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm here. Just trying to figure out what I have here.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It's a rare piece for sure. Servicing it with a new twistlock cap can will only protect the transformers and really doesn't affect the vintage value. One thing to note; the bias cap is included in the twistlock can and the new cans I've seen don't include it. I run a seperate bias cap and heat shrink and silicone it to the chassis.

Value is going to depend on condition. If it has an over abundance of rust then it won't bring as much as you may think; as rare as it is.

6. Soundchaserkt66

Soundchaserkt66 Member

Compared to some of the others I've seen from this Vintage, This one seems to be in pretty good shape.

7. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I don't know if you were talking about Gregg Hopkins but if you were not try him he cowrote a book on ampeg. You can contact him at "Vintage Amp Restoration @ aol.com.

8. Soundchaserkt66

Soundchaserkt66 Member

I tried that address, But it didn't work. Thanks for the attempt though.

9. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Try " VintageAmp@aol.com "

10. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member