1957 Fender Harvard 15w 10" Tweed Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sparky_dustin, Jul 24, 2008.

1. sparky_dustin

sparky_dustin Member

I recently received this amp as a gift from my great aunt when my uncle passed away. It's got all the original parts (tubes, amp, transformer, speaker) but when I crank the volume and tone I barely get any sound coming out of the amp. I'm going to replace the tubes and see it that fixes the problem, but I have no idea what this amp is worth. If it's more than the tubes that need fixing, is it worth holding on to this amp? or would I be better off buying a something new?

PS. I know pretty much nothing about guitars/amps, I just got my first guitar and am learning as we speak.

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I hope you're not a troll

That's a valuable amp, Please treat it as such :)

3. sparky_dustin

sparky_dustin Member

I'll see if I can post some pics when I get home

4. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

You probably need a cab job at the very least. Perhaps new tubes. I'd take it to a good amp tech and see what's going on. In proper working order these amps sound amazing and I've seen them sell for $2000 or more.

5. RussB

Don't replace the tubes...there is a good chance they are in good condition. When amps sit for a long time, oxidation occurs on the tube socket and jack connections.

The filter caps need replacement if your plans are to play the amp. A full service ($200 or so) is in order. If the amp is indeed pristene, you may consider selling BEFORE doing anything to it.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Please post numerous pictures so I can drool in envy and resent you for having an uncle who kept his gear long enough for it to become collectible.:)

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It's worth taking it to a good reputable tech to diagnose before having all of us assume things you may or may not need to do. It is very possible that it is having a tube issue, and it could also need it's cap replaced. A good tech will be able to tell you this. If you plan on playing it, a 3 prong electrical cord is a good idea.

It is worth keeping the amp. Partly due to it's family history, partly due to it's sound. If you are just beginning you may not fully appreciate what all that little amp can do, but it is an amazing amp to have in your arsenal.

8. sparky_dustin

sparky_dustin Member

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Very cool!!! Take it and get a cap job done. Or sell it to me! LOL :hide

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wouldn't play it anymore until getting it serviced, and I would definitely ask around to find a good service tech that was also aware of intrinsic worth of it. What I mean, it matters what caps get put in. If the thing has been sitting in an attic, not being played, maybe more than just the power caps need checking/replacing. But you may want to find out the worth of it, in order to decide whether you ought to sell it as is (it might be worth tons more that way) or IF you get it serviced...whether you want to make it play its best or want to keep it as "original" as possible but playable.

Oh, and if you get a tech to work on it, I would request and pay extra for ALL parts removed to be labelled in seperate where they came from and keep them.

Get some advice, check around. I don't know but if you can find Gerald Weber's email address, send him an email and see what he advises?

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Thanks, sparky, that's a sweet looking amp.

Let us know how it turns out.

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Sparky

Listen to about anything from Booker T and the MG's.
    Otis Redding
    Sam and Dave
    The Blues Brothers
    Steve Cropper Played a Harvard in the studio through most of the Sixties.

Listen to "Dock of the Bay" and "I've been Loving You Too Long" to hear what a Telecaster and a Harvard Amp can do in the hands of a Master.

PS if you want to sell it no BS it my dream Amp I'll pay what ever you ask thats fair

Please Please Please Email me if you go that way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey RecOrds

13. sparky_dustin

sparky_dustin Member

I found a tech in town that a few people have recommended, so I'm going to have him take a look at it and see whats up. If it's going to cost more than a new amp to just to get this one up and running, I might be looking at selling it. I'd rather not, but what good is it to hold onto a broken amp?

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Do what you're comfortable with but once the amp is in playing condition, it's value will only increase. Anything you buy new will only lose value.

I wish someone would drop a tweed in my lap. You're very lucky.

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

This is very true. Also, as was mentioned before, if you get the work done absolutely insist that any part removed is given back to you. If you do sell it, this will help you get as a high of a price as possible.

That's my absolute dream amp. Personally, I would hold on to it, find the best tech I could, and get it sounding as sweet as it did when Steve Cropper was playing the finest guitar in soul music history through that same model.

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Repairing that amp should not cost more than buying a new one, even a new inexpensive one. If the bid to do so comes back that high, you have a price gouging tech. There are plenty of them around, but there are also as many good, reasonable ones who can make that amp sound as good as when it was brand new.

17. RussB

If you are indeed going to sell it, DO NOT do anything to the amp! No service, nothing. Buyers of vintage gear love to have them just as they left the factory, and would rather have any service done by their own techs (or themseles)

It's value will be at the max if it's original and unmolested whatsoever. Trust me on that one ;)

18. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

You'll not get a nicer amp for under $1000. That's a keeper. Get it serviced and consider it an investment you'll never ever regret. As mentioned before, don't play it again until it's been looked over. You don't want to blow a transformer.

As for techs, it's worth asking folks here where to take it. Do not let the tech keep anything from the amp, parts-wise, especially tubes.

You're a lucky guy. Treat this amp well. You're in for a treat.

19. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I'd love an update on this amp. I love it when amazing amps come out of the woodwork. Let us know what happens.

20. toddlilienthal

toddlilienthal Member

I wonder what ever happened in the end? Anyone know?