1957 Gretsch Duojet (Dynasonics), JTM45, Scumnico

Discussion in 'Guitar Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Chrissy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Don't see many Dynasonics around here so this is a quick demo of my 1957 Gretsch Duojet into a JTM style amp (Audio Amp Co.) and a 1x12" open back with a Scumnico 65W. When I hit the stomper it's a Chandler Limited Germanium Boost.

2. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

One of my favorite guitars...I owned a 1953 6128 (no-trem) with a fixed bridge and rare script headstock logo.....it was like no other but....I eventually sold it to a collector in KC, Missouri. I think it's featured in a book now.

Don't let it go, it sound's great.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Doug, that sounds like a beauty you had - an early one at that.

Here's a quick pic of mine:

[​IMG]

It's had quite a life and seen many a battle, was once routed for hum buckers but now plugged/routed for the original Dynas and has a set of 60s Grovers in place of the original tuners.

I picked it up last year from TGP member jumping@shadows in the UK who had already had the work done to get it back to original. Thanks Y.! I think you know more about it's previous life, right?

4. 69strat

69strat Member

I remember hearing that through my Tophat Club Royale... My, oh my ,was that magical...

5. stekks

stekks Member

Nice Chris! Deep 'n punchy.

6. wedewer

wedewer Member

7. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

I had a '58 Duo Jet that was just magical. I regret selling that. Those DeArmonds really are badly underrated pickups.

I recently picked up a "custom shop" Lake Placid Blue Falcon with Seymour Duncan clones in it; it is a fantastic guitar and sounds good but I wonder about trying to get another Jet.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Agree on the fact that they are underrated. I wonder why you don't see them in action more often. The neck pickup would surely be killer in a Tele too...

9. Blauserk

They're tall pickups, at least in the stock Gretsch surrounds. I'm not sure they'd fit under a Tele's strings!

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Duo Jet that just sounds incredible. If'n I do, I'll post a video here. Beautiful-sounding pups; like a Tele on steroids when clean, and something all its own (like a cross between a Tele and a P90) when dirty.

10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Been wanting to do this for some time now...

Anyway, to the OP, what a great sounding guitar/amp/clip. Congrats on a great combo there...

11. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Now I'm getting nostalgic.....seemed like a good idea at the time to sell this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blauserk

Ah--one of the elusive "Scripty" Duo Jets. I had a chance at one of the very early ones and passed on it. Now I am cursed to wander the Earth without it, evermore.

13. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Doug, sorry to bring back the memories :) That looks to be a lovely instrument and a rare one at that.

I agree that there is a portion of P90 tone in those Dynas. If you are familiar with Firbird minis (alnico ones, not the modern ceramics) then they feel a little like that too. Clear whilst still being fat...

14. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Who made that 1x12 cab?

15. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

gtrfinder: it's from Gerd at http://www.audioampco.com.

Floating baffle design makes it a huge sounding cab despite the 1x12" and petite dimensions. Recently recorded this amp through 6 different speaker cabs (among them various 1x12", 2x12" and 4x12" cabs with Celestions and Scumbacks both ceramic and alnico) and this one came out on top for that guitar and amp. Full, balanced and responsive.

16. gtrfinder

Thanks
    Looks great, but probably pricey...

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hope I'm not speaking out if school but i think about 400 euros for the cab (plus shipping and not sure about tax).

18. gtrfinder

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, out of my range a bit in price. Especially considering its in Europe.
    Thanks also for sharing your guitar and playing! Have a nice day

19. Blauserk

You can get Masterbuilts for less than a third of that out the door. Gretsch's "special" runs typically have insane price tags.

I had an original '58 that I lucked out on--wonderful guitar and no playability issues. But I find the current production guitars less nerve-wracking to buy long distance; way more consistency, and less chance of coming across a guitar that needs or has had a neck reset.

20. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That's a beautiful sounding Jet. I've never had a chance with an old one; owned a couple of newer Duo Jets & just received a Firebird on Friday. Fun guitars!

FWIW, the TV Jones T-Armond is available in a soapbar mount, so you can use that on a Tele.