1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

FSOT 1958 Gibson EB-1

Discussion in 'Bass Gear Emporium' started by nmiller, Jan 13, 2019.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Yup, an original. Not the late '60s reissue, not the more recent Epiphone version, but the real vintage thing. It was built in 1958, by which point the catalog referred called it the EB-1 to distinguish it from the new EB-2; earlier catalogues just called it the Gibson Electric Bass. 1958 was the last year for this model, and the only year in which you'll find silver tuner knobs instead of white.

It's heavily worn, but there is no structural damage or repairs. There's lots of finish checking and a large spot of buckle rash on the back. There's tarnish on the hardware, but nothing that causes a problem. There are two screw holes in the back of the headstock next to the serial stamp; I don't know what used to be installed there, but they don't go all the way through. The strap button has been relocated twice, once right next to its original position on the bass side of the body and again on the treble side (which is much more secure). The button itself appears to be a replacement, the only non-original part I can detect. The bass is missing its pickguard as well as the adjustable end stick for upright playing (but the original end pin is intact). A finger rest has been added; it can be removed, but the screw holes will remain. The pots and caps appear to be original. The bass comes with a modern Epiphone EB-1 reissue case that fits it quite well.

Now that all the bad news is out of the way... The bass plays excellently and sounds great. The frets show a bit of wear, but they don't need replacement yet and the action is fine without buzzing. The truss rod and tuners all work fine. The pickup is a massive single-coil, different from the "mudbucker" that appeared on the '60s reissue but still incredibly warm and rich. The neck is quite chunky, but not problematic at all for my small hands.

I'm not an expert on these, so if there's anything in particular you want to see in a photo, I'm happy to oblige.

I'm asking $4200 including Paypal fees and shipping within the US.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

Wow! Beautiful piece, GLWTS!

3. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I've nothing to offer other than good luck with your sale. Man, I've been in love with the EB-1 since that ad (Long Lean Mama) came out advertising the reissue in 1969. And I'm not even a bassist! Brings up memories of Felix Pappalardi and the Led Zep III cover!

4. Jimmy Zaleski

Jimmy Zaleski Supporting Member

I've owned a couple 1950's EB-1's before and pretty sure I remember them having a pole that came out the bottom so you could use it like an upright also.

5. nmiller

Yes, that's the adjustable end stick I referred to. The bass originally came with both the stick and a regular end pin; both screw into a socket at the tail. I do not have the end stick, but the original end pin is included.

6. nmiller

I will consider trades, too, either partial or whole. There's nothing specific I'm looking for, but I'm always interested in odd vintage stuff (guitars, mandolins, tenor banjos, lap steels) and maybe a boutique-y modern electric guitar or acoustic archtop.