1958 J45 price inquiry

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by plexirocker 68, Apr 27, 2019.

1. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I have a chance to pick up a ‘58 J45 with adjustable bridge. Very good plus condition all original with original case...plays great! needs no neck reset, frets are still very good ..color is sharp...one small issue.. a small 1/2” crack needs repaired at soundhole at the neck ..it’s a easy repair ..prices are all over the place for these

Plexi

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

If I really liked I would pay $3100 I have owned a Bunch and that adjustable just kills it for me

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

In 1958 the ADJ saddle bridge was an option. It became standard in 1961.

Regarding the crack, it depends on where it is. If it is in the wood and not just a finish crack and runs from the end of the fingerboard to the soundhole it could indicate structural issue with the neck block shifting. Not saying it is but just the kind of thing you have to be aware of when it comes to older guitars.

On value I would check the Reverb Price Guide.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  4. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

IF you can play it and it's a great sounding guitar, then so much for the mostly overdone adjustable bridge warnings on that one. If you can't play it, it's an expensive gamble I wouldn't entertain.