1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

1959 - 1960 : Which album was the ultimate groundbreaker in Jazz - Poll

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by el greco, Feb 10, 2019.

Which album was the most important in introducing new forms in Jazz?

1. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

73 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. John Coltrane - Giant Steps

17 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

19 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

12 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Duke Ellington - Anatomy Of A Murder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

I don’t know 2/5th of kind of blue is a blues

deeohgee and BriSol like this.
  2. BobbyS

BobbyS Member

Sorry for the mis-post, I meant there was only one new type of jazz tune on the record.

el greco and coltranemi2012 like this.
  3. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I LOVE Giant Steps and Time Out, but on my planet, Kind of Blue just blows all else out of the water.

As many times as I've heard it ( the CD stays in the car- and gets played multiple times each week- I'm an Uber driver...) I can't explain but that music, the way things just came out ( every note of every player), just sounds so original. Its blues, and "simple' yet the note choices /phrasing/ rhythm of each soloist on each song is NOTHING I would or could ever conceive of, were I playing over those chord changes...just fascinates me!

4. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

ah ok..Gotcha

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I voted for Dave Brubeck, as he was the only one of those I was aware of in my late teens

el greco likes this.
  6. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Big fan of most of them. I selected Shape of Jazz to Come.
    I would have included A Love Supreme as well.

My personal favorite of the bunch is Mingus Ah Um

deeohgee and el greco like this.
  7. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

It wasnt as influential short term, but in the long term the Ornette album rival KOB and Giant Steps. GS changed how horns were played, but Ornette had a huge influence on compostions and group interplay

el greco likes this.
  8. WordMan

WordMan Member

I wasn’t familiar with this documentary. Wonderful!!

HammyD likes this.
  9. HammyD

HammyD Member

I read there ins another documentary coming out about the making of Kind of Blue, too.

The book is a good read, as well.

el greco, Tommy Biggs and Bluedano1 like this.
  10. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh yeah, read that a few years ago. Kind of Blue is my favorite album, period. Thanks.

HammyD and Tommy Biggs like this.
  11. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I have this too, as well as " The Making of a Love Supreme " ( Ashley Kahn)
    - either book, besides discussing the actual recordings of the respective records, provide a window into the bios of the musicians, engineers, and what was going on with jazz during and before these amazing albums.

Sadly, I ( think) I lent both books to musician buddies, and they have 'evaporated ' , but I'll get them back!

el greco, HammyD and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. HammyD

HammyD Member

I got my copy back, but my copy of Bloomfield's Biography is still out there!

I have to wonder about the advantage of the old technology. Or rather the potential disadvantage of newer technology.

I have to think of Jimmy Cobb saying he hit the ride cymbal too hard, too "much for the room" at the beginning of "So What." A modern recording session may have had a compressor or limiter before the convertors and ruined the whole feel of it all.

Bluedano1 likes this.
  13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

And that ' hard cymbal hit 'is like opening the door to a remarkable song and album.

If not mistaken Phily Joe Jones ( who was Mile's current drummer played on '58's Milesones- also amazing/ more bebop, right?) was supposed to be on the gig, but couldn't make it- forget if he was busy, or Miles didn't want him...so Jimmy Cobb got the gig.

One observation, and this isn't just Kind of Blue, but other classic jazz recordings, is how all these guys ( I guess mainly the horn/sax guys, but really everyone) would record these amazing solos, one take, everyone live.
    These guys were always gigging and practicing at such a sophisticated level- so it just came out like that on record too. Wow!

HammyD and WordMan like this.
  14. HammyD

HammyD Member

I think a contributing factor to the level of jazz at that time was that everybody was gigging five nights a week. Guys would play multiple clubs in NYC and Monday's were jam sessions.

I had the good fortune to play upright with a group of seasoned jazz musicians, including a sax player who toured with Mingus when I was 17. They pushed me not permitting me to read charts at the gigs. I would have to "feel the changes" or listen to the trombone player mumble substitutions as we went along. They would play a tune and change keys following the circle of fifths every 16 bars just for kicks.

I can only imagine the competition and camaraderie, as well as the level of playing during the late 50's and early 60's. You were expected to bring your best game or go home.

It would have been an extraordinary time to be alive and an adult.

el greco and BuddyGuit like this.
  15. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Thanks! I needed that.

16. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

Bossanova songs has been used many times for jazz (for instance by Laurindo Almeida and Bud Shank already in 1954) but that album of Joao Gilberto is not jazz.

17. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

This was before time out and they also improvised in 5/4 unlike Take five, where only the head is in 5/4 (it seems Max Roach was mad because the label Mercury decided to sell this only after the success of Take five, even if it was recorded before it)

I'm a huge fan of Sun Ra, but he started his free jazz phase in the sixties.
    For free jazz in any case it's certainly not so simple to say who was the first to play like that. There are certainly many examples in the fities besides Coleman and Cecil Taylor. Many would agree that Lennie Tristano in late forties/early fifties was the first

but there were already things that if not strictly free were going in that direction even before (I can think of certain improvisations of Django Reinhardt and Art Tatum).
    About the relation between Sun Ra and other musicians... well John Gilmore was certainly an influence on Coltrane (probably it could be more correct to say that they both influenced each other). About Miles Davis... I don't know, there's a blindfold test with him where he dismiss a Sun Ra piece as crap.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    yfeefy, deeohgee, Oriondk and 2 others like this.
  18. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

19. BriSol

BriSol Member

When I refer to the influence of Sun Ra I'm primarily referring to the upfront African and mid-eastern themes. Miles copped that in his late 60's fusion period just going by the album covers alone (look at the cover of Liveevil). Coltrane copped it with his late period themes, and his wife basically went full on eastern mysticism mode after his death. Of course more broadly this represented the mood in certain African-American circles at the time, to reclaim African identity, and a lot of flirtation with middle-eastern stuff and reference to Egypt. I just see Sun-Ra and pushing that upfront before others in jazz.

Miles did say a lot of weirdly dismissive things, even of Coleman.

deeohgee, el greco and marvin cobain like this.
  20. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Ah the time period didn't register for me