1959 HW Mods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

2. kannibul

kannibul Member

I don't know about that, but, a Post-Phase Inverter Master Volume is pretty quick and easy to do.

The funny thing I noticed in some of the gut-shots with the 1959HW, is that it has an additional hole punched for another noval socket.

lol - it's just begging to be modded...

I've also found that a 100pf bright cap is about "perfect" for having a good balance in the volume control, when you have a PPIMV :)

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I tried a PPIMV on a 1987 reissue and it worked well but still wasnt there at lower volumes. It got kinda mushy. I tried Pentode Triode switch as well. Along with MM Trannys and more. It was a great amp though.

I think what I want to do with this amp is get a decent lower volume sound with the volume control and just use a pedal to get the dirt. No crasy major mods on this amp. It cost way to much money to go putting a bunch of stuff in that amp.

In the past when I clipped the bright cap off the 1987 that worked well but then wasnt quite Bright enuff for my Taste.

BTW I just took this sucker home. I'm gonna expirement with bright caps and maybe try that resistor thangy.

I might try a few pedals to see if I have one that it likes.

4. rastaman

rastaman Member

Congrats on the new HW SL!!! :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

That thread at PP is very interesting, I'm surprised no one else has ever thought of that. Makes a lot of sense.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

When you pull the chassis get pics. The thing is as nice as any amp made, first class work. :dude

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hi Alex.

I'll throw some pics up tomorrow night. Not enuf time tonight.

Definately a cool amp. I'm gonna have to let it all soak in. Cant believe I went back down this road. Ya only live once.

Loud is not an Otrageous enuff word for describing the Volume of this thing. Of coarse I like it loud so we are good. :D :dude

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

This amp is amasing. Went ahead and tried the resistor mod (Parkhead Mod).

That is a great Mod!

Thats all I needed to make this thing behave.

Now I'm jumping Channels keeping them kinda low for some good Grind and rollin back the Volume on my Tele for gorgeous Cleans. Then (tonight) stomping on a Keeley Modded Turbo Tube Screamer for insane sustain.

Unfortunately the Mesa Lonestar Classic had to go to make room for this dude.

Pics of the innards. First two with the Bright Cap last one with the 470k resistor in its place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Congratulations! I'd love to have one myself. I don't think I could deal with amp that loud though. I'm glad someone's getting to enjoy these. It's great that Marshall is making their classic designs again.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx.

With the mod I just did you can play it at any volume you want and use a Pedal for the Gain. though it crunches at low volume now with this resistor on it. I really dont understand whats happening but it works. :)

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'm surprised this mod wasn't thought of sooner. I guess I'm going to have to drive half way across Ga. to hear her. :D

Too bad I'm going out of town this weekend.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah Yeah Yeah. When the Fat Lady Sings you'll come over. :rolleyes:

Well if she does bring your rig I wanna hear it. :D

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

I've been downstairs w/ both amps dimed together, no plate! What awesome tone!!!!!

13. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Man Red that looks so vintage and so right. Did you get a close up of that resister install? Out of curiosity is there a brand name on the board caps?

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'll have to take a look at the caps. Whats up with the extra hole?

From what I've read it supposed to be a copy of a 69 and origionally was gonna be a copy of a 67. Did one of those models have an extra hole in it?

According to the manual that came with it there are gonna be more HW amps issued. Of coarse there allready is the JTM45/100 of recent days.

I have the 1960 HW Cab on the way. Cant wait till it gets here although it sounds good through my Bogner Cab. :dude

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up with resistor installed. Out of focus (I'll have to fix that) The leads are on the middle and right Tags where the Cap was soldered before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allright I'm pic-ed out.:dude

16. kannibul

kannibul Member

Nice!

What's with the lay-down power tranny? Is this a sort of blend from different years?

17. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

My understanding was the chassis was originally designed to duplicate the 67 SLP which doubled as the chassis for the 67 Trem which used an extra tube. The lay down transformer is also from 67 and continued into the early 70's. So visually it is more 67 then 69. Then when reviewing the prototypes they must have decided that the tone they wanted was from the 69 and made it known so there wasn't too much confusion. I know my late 69 is more aggressive then my early 68. Depending on the numbers they want to sell they probably made the right decision to sell the most amps. ;)

18. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

:mad:

19. loverocker

loverocker Member

'Ero' brand by the look of it. I use these in Marshall-style builds and they sound terrific. Best news is that they're actually *very* affordable, especially compared to a lot of caps marketed for Marshall builds. ;)

20. why mod such a lovely amp...........just buy a powersoak dear boy
    enjoy