1959 Marshall SLP reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveS, Nov 12, 2005.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Anybody tried one ?

If so what did you think of the sound when dimed ?

Any opinions ?

Cheers
    -d

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had a purple one in here on loan about a month and a half ago. It smelled like it would give you lung cancer.:D Soundwise it was OK. It had some kerang when cranked and note clarity was fairly decent. It had a defeatable Mark Cameron low gain mod. I didn't care for the mod, but liked the amp overall. My 36 watt Reinhardt Titan kicked it's ass gainwise and for overall note articulation and clarity.

I wouldn't pay no more than a grand for a used one.

3. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

I love my 1959SLP reissue. But it was also modded by David Bray. Mine has the master volume and Bray I mods. I recorded a clip with a HotPlate and a 1960TV Marshall cab. I used a Carvin CT6 guitar and started with the guitar volume low then cranked the guitar up. Volume on the amp was Master on 8, Treble channel on 8, normal channel on 4(for latter half), eq'ed to taste. HotPlate set for home use, loud but not too loud. Nevermind my crap playing, especially the first half where I forget my VH riffs :eek:

http://riley-music.com/Music/BrayIMarshallSLP.mp3

-Peace
    -Nate

6. pluto

pluto Member

Stock is alright. Nothing to write home about, but it does obviously sound like a Marshall. Non master Marshalls on 10 sound wicked, but the reissue is definitely missing something-too thin and bright, and almost grating is how I would describe it in stock form. Now, the handwired is a different story-the handwired reissue is the real deal. Since other people are talking about reissue mods, I also own reissue mods from Dave Bray and Mark Cameron. Both do a great job-my personal preference is the Cameron Jose High Gain mod which kicks ass.

7. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Mine originally had the Bray Mod II, but since I primaily use it for recording, I wanted to add some etra sizzle to it. I had David max the gain and treble capability to it. Maybe adding 20% more of each. I also had him add a Line Out and Power Amp in jack. The new gain and treble mod are this clip I posted.

8. VHoholic

VHoholic Member

9. Rattandroll

Rattandroll Member

wow these stock sound clips sound way better than any of the modified reissue clips ive heard. I especialy liked unchained and fools ones.

10. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

I have 1959SLP which is stock except for a post-phase inverter master volume. These amps don't get alot of praise but I think mine sounds alot like old VH. Have a listen:

"bedroom brownsound"

11. VHoholic

VHoholic Member

Thanks Rattandroll. Yeah i've heard some really great modded amps but for my personal taste i just love that cranked stock tone for this type of amp. :cool:

12. raul

raul Member

wow. aswesome. i'm going to send David Bray a SLP reissue pretty darn soon but am torn between getting Rework I or Rework II.
    i take it that I is great and lots of people seem to get that one. seems to be perfect for that brown sound and rock and roll.
    Rework II, i guess is kinda the same but with more gain?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the I and II ?

I want big complex harmonically rich overdrive! big big tones! clean to big scream!

any help in expalining the difference between the two would be great.

13. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I believe David has an explanation on his site that explains the difference. http://www.davidbrayamps.com

My additional mod of more gain and treble is not his standard mod. It's something I was specifically looking for. The man delivered! Not too mention he stands behind his work and get's it done in a very reasonable amount of time.

14. highfidelity66

highfidelity66 Supporting Member

nice tones on your plexi crunchboy! who did the ppi on it? and how loud did u record those songs with it...?? it sounds like it really cleans up well... i love the tones vholic gets as well. awesome tones and playing guys!!! how does the plexi take pedals if u were to set it up in more of a clean manner? also with the plexis distorted.... does a delay pedal work very well in front since they have no effects loop?? im not a big reverb fan. but i likes my delay! thanks for the neat clips guys!

15. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Thanks, HiFi. Voodoo Amps put in the master for $50. They said it doesn't change the sound of the amp at all and is out of the circuit when on 10. It usable at very low volumes. I play it in my apartment all the time. You've got to have some volume to get the best tone but you can get it at way less than pain levels with the master. For the type of music I like to play with it (old VH, Dokken, Ratt) I boost the preamp with either an eq pedal or a TS808. This is the way those guys did it. Never tried delay in front, but I'd like to try some analog slapback in front. For recording, reverb and delay gets processed after the amp and that works real well.

16. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I think it all depends on what your going after.
    I dig the stock 1959 for the EVH thing.
    Mods are cool for extra gain, but they seem to loose the woodsy raw Marshall tone.

Personally I say go stock and if you need more gain or comp. go with a good pedal. Better for resale too. The rest is in your fingers.
    Gregory

17. VHoholic

VHoholic Member

18. highfidelity66

highfidelity66 Supporting Member

thanks for all ths tips guys! im weighing getting either a decent plexi reissue or im thinking of the germino club and using pedals..... either way i get that nice marshall plexi tone we all love tons! anyone try running the reissue a lil cleaner and trying the pedal approach?? i have a couple nice fuzzes that id like to try. and lastly. any thoughts on the reissue with vs. without the effects loop??

19. raul

raul Member

ok. so you guys seem to like the SLP reissue stock more than modded, with a PPIMV and a good boost? I figured the Bray would be nice with the PPIMV and maybe a boost if needed. i wonder how different the Bray sounds compared to the stock version. still think about that Bray, but the stock clips are nice! i'm not about to spend an arm and a leg to get tones that know you don't have to spend it on! so, Bray with PPIMV and boost, or stock with PPIMV and boost...

20. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

For me, it's all about the plexi's own overdrive. When I use pedals, I don't use the pedal's distortion, I just use it increase the plexi's distortion and to tighten the sound also.