1959 Siemens VS 1958 Mullard...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just picked up a quad of the 1959 Siemens on the left. Next to it is a 1958 Mullard. They appear virtually identical. Both have double supported halo getter. Plate structure appears identical Only difference I can see is the [​IMG]mullard has copper support rods. Im thinking they should sound very similar. Thoughts?

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

:BluesBros here we are again...

One would think they'd behave the same. They've definitely got the cooperation of the same Philips engineers in the design. But plug 'em in and you'll find that the Siemens has brighter, more delicate highs than the Mullard, and that the Mullard has fatter low-frequency footprint (okay, getting poetic here about the low-frequency range, but it sort of reminds me, visually, of an elephant's foot somehow - big, solid, bold, and authoritative).

Betcha!! Let me know what you discover.

By the way, what a lucky score to get four of those sweet '50s Siemens.

- T

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Tried one in the V-1 of my JSX. Sounds very nice and similar to the Mullard. Havent A/B'd them to sort out the finer details though. The JSX holds onto tubes like a vise(tight sockets) Broke a long plate bugle boy in it recently right around the base.:( I think I'll let the amp hold onto it for a bit,get a good listen,before I press my luck pulling it out.I'll probably do a comparison in one of my other less tenacious amps. lol!
    Yeah it seems like a nice score. All 4 tested good and equally as important were low in microphinics in the V-1 of my Vintage Club head. Thats good cause they cost me 20$ a piece.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I can't help but think that the guys who designed tubes "back in the day" would think that we're all nuts for carrying on the way we do.

"It's just a stupid tube! We used copper because we had it laying around and the accountants told us to use it! Long plate schlong plate!"

ROFL!

5. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Until a few months ago, I worked with a Dutch ex-Philips engineer for a couple of years, and that was very definitely his attitude. He had trouble understanding why I was designing a circuit to produce distortion.

Peter.
    ClinchFX

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've encountered this as well, from my Father-In-Law, who's an electrical engineer for Motorola. Got to explain that the imperfections and distortion are what make the whole system euphonic.

Now he knows I'm crazy!! :NUTS

- T

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Engineers (I know this because "I R one") assume that an amplifier is supposed to, faithfully, reproduce the input signal but BIGGER (louder!).

When I tell some of my former corporate colleagues about rectifier sag, transformer saturation, tube distortion, asyemetry, etc their eyes light up and they say "You can do all those things with a DSP!". I just shake my head in despair.:crazy

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nevermind the engineers back then. I think Im crazy for carrying on the way I do! :jo

9. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

You are:crazyguy . Keep on:RoCkIn 1.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue Strat
    I can't help but think that the guys who designed tubes "back in the day" would think that we're all nuts for carrying on the way we do.

"It's just a stupid tube! We used copper because we had it laying around and the accountants told us to use it! Long plate schlong plate!"

ROFL!

If we don't carryon the way we do, some of us knumpschols would be carrying on in Dens Of Iniquity . I'll stick with the stupid tubes.

Schlong Plate Please