1959 SLP type amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveS, Dec 24, 2005.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I am thinking about picking up a Marshall 1959 SLP type amp . . . looking to get some "brown sound" (yes, yes I know this term is cliche) tones. I have heard about Splawn mods, David Bray mods and also the Marshall SLP reissues. Any advice on what might amps are available out there that get this sound and would be comparable or even cooler than a Marshall ? Higher Gain versions ? Lower wattage versions ? Your opinions welcome.
    Cheers
    -d

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Posted this on another thread but thought it might be of use to you. FWIW, the Voodoo is a direct clone of a plexi...:[​IMG]

From someone who owned both a Splawn Quick Rod with the "new" clean channel and currently a Voodoo Amps V-Plex I offer the following observations:

-the Splawn has an incredible rhythm crunch tone. OD1 with the gain at a minimum is quite possibly the most complex, harmonically rich crunch tone I have ever come across.

-the differences between the aforementioned tone and the same channel with increased gain, along with the entire spectrum of OD2 would be increased noise. Now, not being a high gain amp fellow, maybe I am not versed in such tones but suffice it to say the high gain offerings did not "cut" through with a drummer/bass player in a positive way. Things seemed to work much better by simply using the "Boost" function or an outboard OD unit for lead work.

-the clean channel on the Splawn was unuseable for me. Flat and lifeless and oddly incapable of taking to pedals at all.

-the V-plex can do the "sparkle" of an old Marshall, along with mid-gain tones that one would normally associate with older plexi heads. Jimi and SRV are easily acheivable with a Strat, while old school Stones leap out of the cabinet with a bit more goose.

-haven't used my Hot Plate since I got the V-Plex. The master is everything that you want a master to be. Compression is part of the game here I suppose but if I want a more "open" tone I just lower the master level.

Bottom line: if you want that VH1 rhythm tone, go for the Splawn. It is a beautiful experience. But if you want a classic Marshall plexi clone with the ability to go from sparkle to The Song Remains the Same glory, you owe it to yourself to give Trace's V-Plex a go. With a Vox wah, a TS9 and an OCD on the floor, you cannot imagine the tones you can create with this amp.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

howdy neighbour.
    U needs to get Urself down the street to the 12th fret and plug into one o' them there marshall 18 watt hardwired thingies. that is if they still have one. L&M had two a few months ago.
    parliament and wellesley.

4. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Cool review. Oddly enough I just sold a newer QR myself for simular reasons and Im getting a 50w V Plex from BerkleeBill. From your review I think I made the right decision. :dude

5. big hair

big hair Member

Would you say the V-Plex had more gain than a usual plexi??

Those amps look superb

6. jpage

I cut and paste again as the same question was asked there too:

In response to the poster who asked about gain level on the V-Plex, I can tell you that everything cranked up will get you to a great live "SRTS" tone. I have found that I usually keep everything about 50% and with the OCD (like it was made for this amp) and the TS9 there isn't a tone I can't recreate. That being said, the most gain I ever fathom using is a Zakk W Type tone. Compression isn't an issue with this setup on the amp so I am able to go from a reasonable "clean" tone to an over the top Slash vibe with a step of the OCD and a tweak of the volume knob on my Les Paul, without the usual "coloring" associated with dirt boxes. Mr. Fulltone told me that he designed this pedal with a Marshall amp set up this way and it shows. Want a bad ass Marshall tone that cuts though anything? V-Plex and OCD. Rock tone at it's very best.

Ireally can't gush enough about this V-Plex. I have owned it for several months now and it never fails to amaze me when I plug in. Please understand that to compare it to a Splawn sells both amps short. The Splawn was wonderful for what it does and I just might eventuallly acquire another without bells, whistles, multiple channels and the like. I was simply wanting for a low gain setting that the amp did not have. Not Scott's fault at all and he truly builds a unique product at a great price point. And he was a great guy to deal with to boot.

7. jpage

When you order the amp from Trace, let him know if you want more gain and I'm sure he will accomodate. As is, the amp is to spec.

8. big hair

big hair Member

thanks!
    wonder what happened to the v-wreck??

9. Roe

Roe Member

metroamp 12000 series 1968 plexi

10. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I picked up a 1959HW a few weeks ago and it really is amazing...

And it's a Marshall......

[​IMG]

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Maven Peal "Ganesha". Can also do JTM45. Not a tweaked high gainer.

www.mavenpeal.com

Best, Pete.

12. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Very hard to find but is awesome[​IMG]
    Diaz CD100
    I've had Marshalls & Boogies and they pale in comparison
    I describe it as a musical instrument itself.:RoCkIn