1959 strat value

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Papajuice, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Have a friend who's father has an original 59 strat, he bought it new in 59 a true one owner. Looking to find a value on it. it was refinised professionaly in the late 70's, due to someone vandalize it by scracthing the complete surface. When it was refinised they took off the headstock decal because it was also messed with. Beside that it is all original even down to the frets. He is now selling it so we are trying to get a true value. Wil try to get pictures of it.

2. marshalllove

marshalllove Member

i'm tryin to buy 1 right now, how much do you think you want? also do you have any pics?

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Well a 59 in original shape would fetch a pretty penny. A refin knocks the value in 1/2 normally. Depending on who did it and the quality of it. The decal being gone is a serious issue, as it makes it a player piece rather than a collectors piece+ the refin. The solder joints if not touched is a plus , original case would be a plus. I would need to see pics to give you a real value, but unseen assuming all your info is correct, and verifiable. You still have a guitar that could fetch a very good sum.
    You can send pics to me at orly2u@comcast.net
    I have quite bit of knowledge and own a few 50's strats.Ill be more than happy to help, or put you in contact with the right people if I cant help.
    Thanks.
    Orlando

4. Papajuice

Thanks will try to get pics tommorow He was trying to get in the $5000 range.

5. dallas

dallas Member

1959 Strat. Afew things.. The refinish and the decal problem messed things up a bit. If the wood is in great shape, and the numbers on the neck heal and body innerds are right with the original electronics and wiring, you should get about 10 grand.

6. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

How about a '55 strat? One that's been around the block cosmetically but that still is in fine playing condition?

7. xroads

xroads Member

If I was in your position, I would get a professional estimate by one of the vintage experts (Gruhn etc.).

8. Papajuice

Where do you contact them at.