1959HW Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marshall Man, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I know this is a stupid question, but can this Marshall be tamed to bedroom volumes and sound decent with a Hot Plate?

Thanks for entertaining this one:crazyguy

2. pluto

pluto Member

Nope and I own a hotplate and used to own the 1959HW. Superleads are only meant to be played loud!

3. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I've got a couple of 50 watt non master Marshalls with a Dr Z Airbrake. To get them sounding really good takes you to about 6 or 7 on the dial. Of course this is loud. I'm lucky though as I've got a place to crank them up when nobody's home.
    The Airbrake has 5 notches plus a "bedroom" setting that can be adjusted independently. I find a notch or two down from full out is ok, but anything past that really does affect the tone. The bedroom setting is usable .....but not great.
    And these are only 50 watts.
    The 1959HW I'm sure would be considerably louder.
    I'm sure there are tons of amps out there that would make you happier at bedroom volumes.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I never found the 50 watters to be significantly quieter than the 100. It just breaks up earlier.

To answer the question, no. Don't bother taming a NMV 100 watter to bedroom volumes...it'll just be frustrating.

Actually, get a 2061x, it's not the same, but the tone is pretty damn'd close. IMO. Still not bedroom volumes, but you won't exterminate small mammals with DB's either.

EP

5. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Thanks for the replies; I figured it was stupid but thought I would ask.

6. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member