1960 Dual Opto Compressor Pedal - Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Macaroni, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just found this on another forum. Looks interesting. Has anyone tried it yet?

This is from their site...

At Old World Audio we were looking for the T4B cell attack and release characteristics in the form of a pedal. After testing many proprietary manufactures pedals over the years we noticed mostly that they were lacking a second release time.

Either they had a medium release which resulted in no sustain, or they had a longer release time which resulted in a weak attack. So we combined two release times simultaneously. One medium release and the other in the 1 to 5 second range.

The LA2A's dual stage release has not been put into a pedal that we know of. This was a personal goal of the owners of Old World Audio. We strive to provide the music community with a product that performs like a rack unit for the price of a pedal.

The secret is in release. On the left is the T4B unit, the heart of the LA2A. The T4B optical cell provides two release times dependant on the photo resistors changes in resistance when hit with the light from an illuminesent panel. We used this same principle when designing our pedal. That warm rich tone that made the LA2A famous is now available in a compact size and price.

http://oldworldaudio.com/products.htm

2. BuddyPo'

BuddyPo' Member

I would like to reactivate this thread. I'm also very interested in this comp pedal. Anybody???

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Their website is not working. Are they still making these. I am intrigued by pedalboard size studio style comps. Joe Meek has one that debuted at WIiter NAMM but it is pretty big for a pedal.

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

the site works for me, just peel back products.htm

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Got it to work. I am very interested in this one. LA-2A in a stomp size box. Very cool idea.

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

the Demeter compulator is based on the same idea, and in the 5 years I've had it I haven't found anything that can touch it.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

hey Wiz:
    Is the Compulator a two-stage compressor?

8. jstone

jstone Member

Have you ever peeked into a LA-2A???? :)
    I have... insane to compare.
    But it looks really cool. And opto comp IS really COOL.
    Anyone know how much it is??

9. askthedust

askthedust Member

So, no one has ever tried this pedal yet ?

10. 100JH

100JH Member

I saw this and was intrigued as well. Since I have nothing but success with Phil Taylor, I am waiting on the Effectrode Compressor due out very soon.

From their site...
    http://www.effectrode.com/website/photo_optical_compressor/tube_compressor_main.htm

Quiet, musical and transparent - The PC-2A is the world's smallest and toughest hi-fidelity photo-optical tube compressor pedal. It's pure analog circuitry is made from the 'right stuff' being built with a high quality photo-cell and NOS (new old stock) tube, just like the best high-end vintage gear found in many professional studios. Operating at real tube amplifier plate voltages the PC-2A has stacks of head-room and a low noise floor ensuring fantastic dynamic range and outstanding tone.

Features

• All Tube: 100% pure analog vacuum tube audio path for maximum signal integrity and hi-fidelity sound reproduction.
    • A-weighting filter response: A-weighted filter in the side-chain replicates the response of the human ear and allows for heavy compression without the excessive 'pumping' normally associated with compressors processing low-frequnecy material, for much more natural and musical effect.
    • Photo-optical gain control: The gain control attenuator is based on a CdS photocell which ensures the absolute minimum of distortion is introduced (much lower than V.C.A. and F.E.T. designs). Additionally, the natural decay characteristic of the photocell produces a smooth two-stage release characteristic which always sounds pleasing and natural to the ear as it eliminates 'breathing'.
    • Deep Carmine Red L.E.D.: Indicates if the effect is engaged.
    • True Bypass: With Effectrode's unique ‘anti-pop’ or ‘thump’ footswitching circuitry
    PS - Dont forget about the Joe Meek Floor Q!

11. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I tried the Old World compressor pedal. Sounded excellent and Rodney is good people and knows what he's doing. Not my style compressor, but I'm still thinking about getting one.

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

the clips sound terrible.

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The clips should have started without the compressor, and then turn it on so you can hear the differences. Pretty useless otherwise.

14. SimonMorrison

SimonMorrison Member

I received an Old World Audio 1960 this week. The OWA 1960 is modeled after the Teletronix LA-2A. The pedal uses a dual stage release that emphasizes lower frequencies. There is some attenuation of higher frequencies. On higher compression settings, note and pick attack are less articulate - this is a typical compressor characteristic. The overall sound is rich, warm and organic.

The OWA 1960 is an optical compressor and designed for transparency versus heavy (squishy) compression.

Here is a YouTube demo by Rodney Davis using a bass guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdy15V_Tmg0

15. robcollins

robcollins Member

according to the website , i'ts only $.01 !!!

16. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I believe the OWA 1960 is $250. I refretted one of Rodney's guitars once and would have traded for the comp 'cept for the fact I needed the cash.

17. askthedust

askthedust Member

I had an out of this world mail conversation with Rodney. Very strange guy, he ended up threatening me to refuse selling me a 1960 because I asked for a 2$ discount : compressor + shipping + paypal fees on me was 302$, I asked him if 300$ would be ok and he lost his nerves.
    That was a few monthes after he stopped communication for no reason because I asked him if he would be interested in me doing a youtube demo of the 1960.
    I'm done trying to buy a 1960...I've understood why it's so unpopuplar.
    Since that, I've tried the Fromel Velvet Vice and Demeter Compulator, and both sound better than the demo on youtube IMO.