1960 ES355 got the Plek treatment

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by crashbelt, Jun 10, 2019.

1. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

I recently bought a wonderful 1960 mono 355 from OK Guitars in the USA.

It is perfect, apart from a recent refret with very tall stainless steel frets with rather sharp ends, which neither I or OK Guitars liked. It was uncomfortable to play and I was inadvertently bending some notes sharp, especially on the G string.

Just picked it up from Charlie Chandler's Guitar experience having had about 1/3 of the fret height plekked away and the ends softened. The result has transformed it into a brilliant player. Taking that much material off stainless steel frets by hand would have been a bit of a task for a luthier, and the plek machine, plus hand-finishing has turned out great.

Its my first experience with having a vintage guitar plekked so I thought I'd share the positive experience.

2. windmill

windmill Member

Thanks for letting us know

But we would really like to see a picture of the guitar.

:)

3. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

I've struggled for ages to load pictures and failed. I'll try some more. Its great looking!

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You can always use a hosting service like IMGUR. Works great. You upload your photo to IMGUR, copy the image link from IMGUR to TGP, and the photo will appear.

5. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

I upgraded my account just so I could share pics of my LG-1 (seriously) and probably ran into the same issue as you (file too big?)

I ended up taking screenshots of the pictures to reduce their size. Not sure how they look on PC, but they still look great on my phone. Er, as great as my totally average pictures could be haha

6. zhivago

zhivago Member

Charlie Chandler's fret jobs are excellent...he's done three of my vintage guitars, all Plek'd (it's standard procedure for him). Recommended 100%.

ctreitzell and GGinMP like this.
  7. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Right click - open with - paint

File - save as - jpeg picture

This is what works for me, I get a much smaller size file that uploads to TGP no problem. Would love to see it as well!

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Were you nervous or apprehensive with putting a guitar worth that much up on the machine?

9. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

I felt cool about it because I'd researched the plek process a bit online and had great confidence in Chandler's reputation. It also helped that the frets being pleked weren't original, but a recent refret just before I bought it with very tall stainless steel wire. So in the unlikely event that it had messed up, there would have been plenty of fret left for a luthier to level by hand.

But it went great anyway.

Incidentally, I've just spent an hour opening an Imgur account, loading an image of the guitar (compressed and with a compatible JPEG format), cut and pasted the URL to this post, and still failed to import it!! I give up!!

10. Bluesful

What URL did you copy, and how did you post it?

11. Bluesful

@crashbelt - when you are in Imgur and you have selected the photo that you want to share, copy the information contained in the box I have highlighted below:

[​IMG]

Then paste that direct into a post here (as you would just normally post text).

Don't paste it into the image, media or other buttons in the post box options here at TGP.

12. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

you are in London? Is Charlie Chandler in the UK? I'd like to get my Byrdland Plekd and tarted up a bit

zhivago and crashbelt like this.
  13. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I use flickr to host my images;
    GIMP to process images.
    It ain't fast and you gotta be willing to try and fail several times before landing on a solid, repeatable workflow. Uploading from ipad is much harder. Understanding some basic web code is mandatory, too. I use the forum BBCode widgetry, too

Oversized images soak up too much bandwidth the forum page loads very clunky (I have very slow internet out here in the sticks). I find youtube embeds to kill forum pages all the time; even with superfast 50mbs.

14. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Interesting! I was wondering about PLEK and SS frets. Good to know! Sounds like a good decision and I'm glad the results paid off. I'm surprised that more vintage guitars aren't getting PLEK'd -- sounds like a great idea.

15. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

If you Google Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience you'll find them. The shop is in Hampton Wick in west London. A bit of a trek for me from Cambridge but I'll go there again for work on vintage guitars. Good luck with the Byrdland.

amstrtatnut and zhivago like this.
  16. zhivago

zhivago Member

ctreitzell likes this.
  17. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

zhivago likes this.
  18. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

[​IMG][​IMG] At last I got an imgur image to load:D:D:D:D.

Its not a very good pic and very low res but at least everyone can see the guitar. In this pic its mixed in with my other red vintage 3**s.

Left to right they are 67 Trini, 60 355, 64 335, 62 330.

I'll work on getting better pics in future but at least its a start. Thanks for everyone's advice.

zhivago and ctreitzell like this.