1960 les paul jr (Broken)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by keeleykatana, Jun 4, 2008.

1. keeleykatana

keeleykatana Member

what would you pay for an all original 1960 les paul jr double cut if the headstock was broken and fix, and has been solid for 10 years? would you buy it at all? help!!

2. unkindone

unkindone Member

well..look on gbase, there are lots of repaired vintage gibbys that dont fetch a lot

where on the headstock was it broken? if it has been played the last 10 years regularly and not a problem, then whats stopping ya? :D

3. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

According to the vintage guitar price guide, any headstock repair automatically reduces the value of the guitar by 40%-50%. If it was professionally repaired and solid, it could be a way to get a great vintage player at a cheap price, but the crack will scare off most vintage collectors unless they are buying to flip it.

4. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

At the last Dallas show the '59/'60 Juniors and Specials were priced around 10K.
    So,I would think around 6K or so for a headstock repair.

5. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

If you like it, why not? Just don't look at it as an investment but enjoying playing it. These things sound great on stage!

6. Quinny

Quinny Member

Original case? Any other breaks or mods? Assuming a non-original case and no other breaks/mods I'd guess around $5k at the minute. Depending on the break and the quality of the repair it may be a bit lower still.

Q.

7. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I had a chance to buy a 59 Jr with a headstock repair (solid) for $1100 at The Dallas Guitar Show, I passed.... Two weeks later the guitar was on ebay for $1600...So I would say less than $2K.

8. shuie

shuie Member

One of the best guitars Ive ever heard and played in my life has a terrible headstock repair. Id give $3k max if all of the original parts were still there, the rest of the finish was original, and I really wanted it.

9. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

yeah man dont pay very much....there are a lot of broken ones out there

10. Sean French

I missed that one.:BITCH
    I was not really looking to buy anything that day though.
    Since you passed it must of not been all that good eh?
    Guess I'll have to keep a better look out in Arlington.
    With the market being soft it would be a good time to buy a player.

[​IMG]

11. opdev

opdev Member

12. HHB

HHB Member

I've got a 58 Jr w/ a headstock repair and a neck joint repair, it's stable and totally awesome, I paid an uber low price

13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

With all due respect,there is no way in hell i would spend $6k for a guitar
    with a broken headstock. There is no way to recoup your investment.

14. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Soft market considered, I'd say 3K to $3500 tops assuming all of the parts and finish are original. I own a 59 with a repaired headstock. I also own a 57 that's a refin. Great way for the lower budget player to get into old wood without paying investment grade prices.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x167/virtualjazzbo/Juniors/3-jrs.jpg

Psssst! Want to know a secret? They sound exactly the same as their $10K unfettered counterparts. Here's another tip. Even though not collector grade, they will "roughly" follow the market as their collector grade counterparts change in value also. If they didn't, you'd still be able to buy old repaired Juniors for $150 and 1959 Standards with repaired headstocks for $500, right? They do not move dollar for dollar or even percent for percent change with their investment grade counterparts, but if 1960 Juniors were to go to $15K, a repaired headstock 1960 Junior won't just sit there at $3K. If you buy it right, you will recoup your investment and more, assuming the market for vintage Juniors recovers.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  15. playon

playon Supporting Member

I've played some Les Pauls with repaired headstocks that I thought sounded better. Sometimes it stiffens the neck a bit and seems to make the guitar a bit more articulate.

16. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

For a repaired headstocked JR, $3K sounds high to me. I sold a fairly clean 58 Special for 5 just a couple of years ago. That was the selling price.

Then again, the last time I bought a Junior, I paid way too much for a clean 60 at $900, so I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about anymore.

17. Sean French

Then don't.:)
    I played a killer '54 Les Paul Standard with a headstock repair and it sold for $18K a year ago.I've also seen a Burst with a headstock repair with an asking price of $150K.
    I've seen Juniors with headstock repairs at the Texas shows priced over $5K.Don't know if they sold.
    I wouldn't spend big bucks on a repaired Junior either.

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I paid $1400 for a '60 LP Junior w/ broken headstock that was repaired well enough to be stable, but not a pretty job around 5 years ago.

Doesn't sound or play as good as my '56 LP Junior, but it still sounds great, and I'm really glad to have it. I'd be surprised if you could find one as good now for anywhere close to that price. I'd exect to pay at least 3K for one that's beat and has a repaired headstock.

To the subject at hand, have a good luthier look at it first. If it's well reapaired and stable, for an actual REAL LP Junior, it won't get much better than that - used, repaired, and in good condition.

My two cents, Dana O.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I would also say no more than $3K. If you check Ebay, people are trying to sell Juniors at really inflated prices right now, and guess what? They're sitting there like lead balloons. Even Juniors in the $5-6K region are taking a while to sell. One complete doofus has been trying to sell a '57 TV Junior for $27.5K. He's relisted it at least seven or eight times that I have seen. No one wants it for that price. The man is completely delusional or stupid. I look at the Junior listings every day on Ebay. The same ones keep getting relisted. Take a look and make someone an offer. You might be surprised.