1960 Les Paul Special Single Cut VOS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by winterheadphone, Dec 18, 2009.

1. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

Hey guys,

I've been shopping for a guitar for the last long while. I believe I'm beginning to narrow it down a bit. So far, the 1960 Les Paul Special VOS and a 90s Tele plus are the two guitars I keep coming back to(I'm looking for something that has sparkley highs, depth, note separation and the les paul creamyness).

I have fairly small hands and am worried that the 1960 Les Paul would be too thick. I live in a smaller city and wont be able to play it before i buy it. Anyone use this guitar that might be able to help me out?

Thanks

2. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I had a 1960 Special (single cut) for a couple of years. I also had a 93 Strat Plus so... These two guitars definitely have extremely different necks. The R0 had a beefier neck than my 05 R8; but not as beefy as the 00 R9 I had for a while. The R0 was very very comfortable for me - but I like fat necks.

By comparison, the Fender Plus guitars - once I started playing Gibsons - had pathetically, comically, almost painfully thin necks.

If you can get your hands on a Tele or Strat plus in your town, try it. If it is way thin for you, you'll be ok with the R0. If it feels full... proceed with caution.

Another thing, if you can try any Gibson neck in your town, see how it is. You can find Standards with 50s necks. Any 50-style Historic neck will be a bit fuller than that, but it will at least put you in the ball park. I used to like skinny necks, but then I discovered fat ones and haven't looked back. You may be in a similar position, you just don't know till you try some.

3. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'm the same way as rmconner80. Love fat necks. Don't have huge hands but find the necks very comfortable to play. LOVE my 60s VOS Special.

4. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

Thanks rmconner80. I'll try that out.

Another thing that worries me a tad is the wrap-around bridge. Never being able to set up the intonation seems like playing with fire to me. What are your thoughts?

There's a used one a few hours away from me for $2095 CAD. Does this seem like a good deal. I haven't quite figured out what makes these guitars so much more expensive over the other Les paul Jr's. Some clarity would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

5. Roe

Roe Member

Try a tokai lss195 with lollars if you can find one

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I have 3 Custom Shop Gibson Historics with wraparound bridges. No intonation issues with any of them.

7. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

the VOS Specials are FANTASTIC guitars. I have been looking at getting one for years now, and each one I play has been really nice. Huge neck, even bigger than my R9 or R6. I like the feel of the wraparound tailpiece as well and I do think there's some extra resonance vs. a tune o matic tailpiece. I played one recently that was about 7 1/2 pounds and it was just a great sounding guitar. For some reason though they seem to be quite rare, not many dealers have them in stock.

8. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

Am I crazy? I come in here asking about les pauls, P90's....... I head out of town on a road trip to look at a used 1960's les paul special and come home with a 51 Nocaster NOS. It has everything I wanted. Clarity, chime, note separation, sustain, .........I could keep going. What's suprising is that it has the same baseball bat neck as the 1960 VOS and it isn't bad for my hand at all. I haven't played it for hours on end yet but so far so good.

Anyways, thanks for the support on this purchase. I'm going to play.