1960 Strat restoration

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
im sure ill learn tons from all of you by posting -

after trying dozens, and owning 8-9 new strats over the years, CS, and a great, light CBS strat,
i realized it's no-or-never for me, and started looking for a refin CBS,
ideally a slab board.

i should say im a gibson guy, therefore making this investment was a huge decision.

tried a couple in person, and did 5 video calls with 5 different sellers,
this one blew me away, sounding the best by far.
I took a few days to gather info - it needed some work -
but when when i was ready someone beat me to it before i pulled the trigger!

a month later i get a text from nick at GC that she's back, and i sent money before it disappears again.

Sh'es a 1960 body, early 61 neck. all original, mid-50s case - and - ASH body!

Sent her to @hogy for inspection, and one he confirmed its all original,
sent the body to @starrguitar1 for a proper refin -

as we hoped - @hogy found the original blond finish in the neck pocket, and wer'e bringin her back to het original glory -
blond over ash.

Im super excited about this journey, and where she takes me musically.
was hoping to debut her at the dallas show in a few weeks, but nitro takes what it takes.
im playing w my trio april 29-30 th for Gibson and Category 5 Amps - if anyone's around come say hi

PXL_20210917_193240723.JPG
PXL_20210916_184614428.JPG
PXL_20210916_172810991.JPG
PXL_20210916_160732479.JPG
PXL_20210916_150536784.JPG

ripgtr

@hogy concludes that all back plate screws are missing, trem screws are obviously non-original, high E string tuner is a later double line,1 strap button screw is wrong.

neck is in perfect shape, truss rod too, original frets.
Though I have the original finish, what is left of it, mine is a beater/player. It has replaced tuners and frets, some of the screws, etc. But you have the original pickups, it looks like, and to me, that is the deal. Yea, the wood is nice, I think it is the pickups that get it for me.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
im sure ill learn tons from all of you by posting -

after trying dozens, and owning 8-9 new strats over the years, CS, and a great, light CBS strat,
i realized it's no-or-never for me, and started looking for a refin CBS,
ideally a slab board.

i should say im a gibson guy, therefore making this investment was a huge decision.

tried a couple in person, and did 5 video calls with 5 different sellers,
this one blew me away, sounding the best by far.
I took a few days to gather info - it needed some work -
but when when i was ready someone beat me to it before i pulled the trigger!

a month later i get a text from nick at GC that she's back, and i sent money before it disappears again.

Sh'es a 1960 body, early 61 neck. all original, mid-50s case - and - ASH body!

Sent her to @hogy for inspection, and one he confirmed its all original,
sent the body to @starrguitar1 for a proper refin -

as we hoped - @hogy found the original blond finish in the neck pocket, and wer'e bringin her back to het original glory -
blond over ash.

Im super excited about this journey, and where she takes me musically.
was hoping to debut her at the dallas show in a few weeks, but nitro takes what it takes.
im playing w my trio april 29-30 th for Gibson and Category 5 Amps - if anyone's around come say hi

View attachment 572314 View attachment 572315 View attachment 572316 View attachment 572317 View attachment 572318

Looks awesome, nothing better than a great restoration project & bringing a good Guitar back to original.

Best of luck.

:beer

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
Though I have the original finish, what is left of it, mine is a beater/player. It has replaced tuners and frets, some of the screws, etc. But you have the original pickups, it looks like, and to me, that is the deal. Yea, the wood is nice, I think it is the pickups that get it for me.
while this one is all original under the pickguard, ive had some amazing results restoring late 50s gibson husks using wizz pickups.
played some vintage ones that had the best pickups and some that had 'just ok' pickups, same for wood i guess...

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
@starrguitar1 is runnin' into trouble with the refin - it had a bad refin or two - and we can't seem to get the red out of the cavities,
or the black out of the Ash - wer'e trying everything.
if we have to go solid color - which would you choose?

something that was common at the time - olympic white?
or custom color - and if so - which?
please share pics pf refins if you can, would really help

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

Trending Topics

Top Bottom