1960 Strat restoration

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
My ‘65 Strat had 4 refins under the cracked black lacquer it was adorned with when I bought it. It was originally sunburst, as I discovered the yellow stain undercoat in the cavities when I chemically stripped the mess.

It is very, very unlikely Fender would have used ash for anything else but blonde then.
Ash requires pore filling, one more step in the finishing process, there is no reason to use it for a solid colour.

hogy

@starrguitar1 is runnin' into trouble with the refin - it had a bad refin or two - and we can't seem to get the red out of the cavities,
or the black out of the Ash - wer'e trying everything.
if we have to go solid color - which would you choose?

something that was common at the time - olympic white?
or custom color - and if so - which?
please share pics pf refins if you can, would really help

View attachment 575631
View attachment 575632
I really don't think this is an issue, personally. It wouldn't bother me to leave the red in the cavities, it's part of the guitar's history, and you can't see it with the guard on.

The dark pore filler likewise doesn't seem a huge deal. Some ash has darker pores anyway. I would refill the pores with a brown filler and proceed. Go with a slightly more opaque blonde, which is period correct anyway.

I would not go with a solid color.

Family Man

Silver Supporting Member
Blonde or white blonde gets my vote. I love when ash shows through a translucent finish. Here's my non-vintage example:

1650731255050.png

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
What exactly have you tried yet, to get the finish out of there?

If it’s just sanding so far, you may want to consider a paint stripper in the cavity. I also understand citric acid will pull finish out of the grain, and there are likely other methods.

It’s absolutely worth exploring every possible avenue on a guitar like this, since transparent blond was the only finish that would have received an ash body at that time.

starrguitar1

We decided to do the mostly opaque Blonde. The finish in the routes is urethane and won't come out without a tremendous fight, so we are going to leave it alone. Like was said, it shows the guitar's journey. Much like the tremendous amount of over-sanding that has occurred.

KFBR392

Silver Supporting Member
We decided to do the mostly opaque Blonde. The finish in the routes is urethane and won't come out without a tremendous fight, so we are going to leave it alone. Like was said, it shows the guitar's journey. Much like the tremendous amount of over-sanding that has occurred.
I think it’ll come out great. Please keep everyone posted, we love to see it.

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
With that ash body, I think I’d still take my chances on Blonde. The red in the cavities is irrelevant. The little bit of black that is left in the grain will make the grain lines stand out under the Blonde finish, but I don’t think it will look bad.

our thoughts exactly! @starrguitar1 is on it as we speak!

Top Bottom