1960 Strat restoration

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Looking good so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result of this.

I absolutely love blonde Strats! But a blonde strat with the original finish is out of my budget range. In the future I would love to find an early to mid-60's Strat that has been stripped for a project like this.

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
Looking good so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result of this.

I absolutely love blonde Strats! But a blonde strat with the original finish is out of my budget range. In the future I would love to find an early to mid-60's Strat that has been stripped for a project like this.

thx!

yes im madly excited about this one, but the patience is sometimes too much ;)

the end result will be darker than this, and aged lightly to match the neck.

ive traded 5 guitar for this one, and the body needed real work - plugging a couple holes,
getting a lot of dirt out -
but its one of the best ive heard, so i went all in..

your 57 is gorgeous

Last edited:

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
im absolutely amazed by @starrguitar1 's work - a true artist.

I must also say that both Kip and Hogy went above and beyond in getting every possible detail right,
for which im not only thankful - but deeply touched.

Next week itll ship by to @hogy for the famous Hogy Frets,
and ill meet her in Sept. in the studio in NYC recording my ext album for Ropeadope Records.

would love your tips and comments!

IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
im absolutely amazed by @starrguitar1 's work - a true artist.

I must also say that both Kip and Hogy went above and beyond in getting every possible detail right,
for which im not only thankful - but deeply touched.

Next week itll ship by to @hogy for the famous Hogy Frets,
and ill meet her in Sept. in the studio in NYC recording my ext album for Ropeadope Records.

would love your tips and comments!

As they say “If you are going to do something, do it right.” You‘ve have definitely picked the right people to bring this dream to reality for you.

Mr Fingers

IMO, you made great choices. That's a nice color, and the ability to see a little ash grain is wonderful. I love RW slab fretboards and yours looks fantastic with that finish. I like original finishes just like everyone does, but IMO a fine refin of an otherwise great old guitar -- and a '60 Strat is tops for me -- is so, so much better than an ugly guitar! Jeez -- what a great result!
Question: How is this a '60 Strat if the neck is '61? I though we dated 'em by the last major component added.

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
IMO, you made great choices. That's a nice color, and the ability to see a little ash grain is wonderful. I love RW slab fretboards and yours looks fantastic with that finish. I like original finishes just like everyone does, but IMO a fine refin of an otherwise great old guitar -- and a '60 Strat is tops for me -- is so, so much better than an ugly guitar! Jeez -- what a great result!
Question: How is this a '60 Strat if the neck is '61? I though we dated 'em by the last major component added.

thanks!! i really tried 6-7 vintage ones of the same year before settling on this one, and couldnt be happier. a special one.

when i bought it the Guitar Center. team estimated the body is late 60,
but Hogy confirmed the body and the neck are related, and not a partscaster.
Hogy also found the original blond finish in the neck pocket,
which made the color decision very easy.

Thx for chimin in :)

fernieite

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the '61 Strat!
What are the pot dates?

Kip did a beautiful refin on it. I've never seen his work on a Fender before.

Back in 2009 or 2010, he did a great refinish on my R8 Les Paul when he was doing some work with Kim through Historic Makeovers.

I see yours has a proper circa 1960 case
too. ( gold/orange interior without the knuckle-buster under the handle latch) Very cool.

Looking forward to seeing your Strat with all of the parts back on!

Dekel Bor

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the '61 Strat!
What are the pot dates?

Kip did a beautiful refin on it. I've never seen his work on a Fender before.

Back in 2009 or 2010, he did a great refinish on my R8 Les Paul when he was doing some work with Kim through Historic Makeovers.

I see yours has a proper circa 1960 case
too. ( gold/orange interior without the knuckle-buster under the handle latch) Very cool.

Looking forward to seeing your Strat with all of the parts back on!

thx!
no clue :) hogy confirmed everything is original, so im happy.
Ive seen a gold top by Kip i could swear is original finish. unreal work.
never considered anyone else for this, and sure ill send others in the future.

does this tell you something?

PXL_20210916_160714815.JPG

Trending Topics

Top Bottom