1960 Strat restoration

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
Pictures like these American treasures on the 4th of July, what a treat....I am a 335 guy but DANG those are some fine looking guitars!

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Dekel, my man, you are in for a real treat! This guitar sounds and plays unbelievably great! I know you dig my blonde '61, yours is every bit as good. Maybe a bit better on the neck pickup, but I would never admit that. Perfect Strat weight, too, at 7lbs 4oz. On the dot the same as mine. This was a project well worth doing.

Starr Guitars did a beautiful job on the color. Mine has seen more smoky bars, both look killer to me.

Just got the frets done, everything assembled. Ready for the next 50 years. This is really a lifetime Strat, they don't get much better than this thing.

Can't wait to hear the music you'll create on this guitar!

32rebBJ.jpg

WWP77uo.jpg

ZEczsKs.jpg

geZ5bBR.jpg

L7xpqwW.jpg

AgmIxMt.jpg

@Dekel Bor can‘t imagine a better indication of how happy you are going to be with this guitar!

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
send me a pic!

Here ya go.

I have had a black guard on it at times, and the color looks better with the black pickguard. But the color is not really butterscotch either. For a '58, it shouldn't be that yellow. I suppose whoever did the refin may have been going for a yellowed/smoked out look. I'll probably leave it as-is, but am still debating...

Esquire01.jpg

Here is is with a black pickguard, and a neck pickup. I should probably just leave it like this because the yellow doesn't bother me as much with the black pickguard.

IMG_1802.jpeg

Dekel Bor

Here ya go.

I have had a black guard on it at times, and the color looks better with the black pickguard. But the color is not really butterscotch either. For a '58, it shouldn't be that yellow. I suppose whoever did the refin may have been going for a yellowed/smoked out look. I'll probably leave it as-is, but am still debating...

View attachment 649667

Here is is with a black pickguard, and a neck pickup. I should probably just leave it like this because the yellow doesn't bother me as much with the black pickguard.

View attachment 649671

Took me a minute- our 1st baby just arrived!

I like it with the black guard and neck pickup, and if the refin is done right and aged right I’d leave as is probably.
Most of the refins I see are poor and for me worth the effort- have a 58’ 335 that Ken McKay did an insane top refin to, matching e back 100%

Dekel Bor

IMG_0587RS.jpg

Man, that is a superb refinish! It's giving me ideas about my '53 Tele, which was refinished at home by the prior owner without removing the hardware (meaning there is still original finish underneath).
I’d absolutely take it to the right guy to rub the refin off :)

lowyaw

Dekel, my man, you are in for a real treat! This guitar sounds and plays unbelievably great! I know you dig my blonde '61, yours is every bit as good. Maybe a bit better on the neck pickup, but I would never admit that. Perfect Strat weight, too, at 7lbs 4oz. On the dot the same as mine. This was a project well worth doing.

Starr Guitars did a beautiful job on the color. Mine has seen more smoky bars, both look killer to me.

Just got the frets done, everything assembled. Ready for the next 50 years. This is really a lifetime Strat, they don't get much better than this thing.

Can't wait to hear the music you'll create on this guitar!

32rebBJ.jpg

WWP77uo.jpg

ZEczsKs.jpg

geZ5bBR.jpg

L7xpqwW.jpg

AgmIxMt.jpg

dat's pretty

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
Here ya go.

View attachment 649667

View attachment 649671
That thing looks completely different with a black pickguard (maybe the lighting is different too)! I think the finish looks great....FWIW.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
That thing looks completely different with a black pickguard (maybe the lighting is different too)! I think the finish looks great....FWIW.

Yes, the lighting is different. But it does look completely different with the back guard. I had a color theory class about 10 years ago, and one thing that really stuck with me is that colors are relative and look very different against other colors. I'm leaving the finish as-is with the black guard installed.

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
Took me a minute- our 1st baby just arrived!

I know this is TGP, guitars rule, etc., but what an amazing announcement, congratulations to you and your new family!

I've been lurk/following this resto with vicarious interest, and the guitar is fantastic! With Hogy stoked, I am not sure there is a higher stamp of approval aside from your own.

Dekel Bor

Yes, the lighting is different. But it does look completely different with the back guard. I had a color theory class about 10 years ago, and one thing that really stuck with me is that colors are relative and look very different against other colors. I'm leaving the finish as-is with the black guard installed.

great choice!

Pauly B

Silver Supporting Member
That refinish looks amazing... but I wanna know what the heck the previous owner was thinking when he put that furniture polish finish on a '60 Strat. That was flat out hideous.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom