1960ax Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shampoch, Oct 23, 2008.

1. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

anyone own a 1960ax Cabinet that could comment on it

2. steve39stripes

steve39stripes 39 Stripes

They are all I use live and in the studio. Always sound great with my heads or rack.

3. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Ive been using one for the past year, they sound fantastic when youre able to crank a 50w top through them, outstanding Brit cleans too with a little bit of hair,

the only 'gripe' I have with them is when you're not able to crank a top through them because they tend to sound a little 'tinny' to my ears at lower volumes using overdrive pedals,
    theyre a sensitive speaker to playing styles too which can be good or bad, not a 'smooth' feeling speaker until up loud, very 'vintage' sounding ofcourse and a very strong midrange that will cut through any mix,

the 4x12 AX cabs have enough bass because of their cab design, modern music still sounds great through them but the low end does'nt 'thunk' like a standard 75-t would.
    I seem to notice alot of high end 'glare' through them as opposed to other cabs also.

Try before you buy, they look really cool though. . thats the main reason I bought one :rolleyes: I prefer the 425 purple cabs with the Jimi Hendrix design 25 watters, except my top looked dumb with a purple cab. .

All in all I do like them, faster leads seem very 'hard' to play though as opposed to most other cabs Ive ever played, its almost as if theres a phasing issue with mine but Ive checked it out and all is in good working order.

4. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

I love mine, I have the DSL 50 and the AX sounds great. It also looks great.

[​IMG]

5. Keld

Keld Member

I prefer the 1960ax with my Elmwood over my orange ppc212 - the bass isn't as tight but the top end is more rounded. With that setup I guess the greenbacks are a better fit.

I think I like the orange cab with my orange amp though (go figure).

6. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I had three Ax's at one time(1993) and they certainly had issues. The cabs would rattle and buzz at high volumes, they were picky about pickups and fussy about bass notes. The top end did have that creamy Greenback tone but got "splatty" in the mids.
    Be sure to tighten up the screws from time to time. I had heard of guys changing these cabs to 4 ohm for improved bass response but having tried it on two of my AX's, it didn't make for much improvement. If you plan on playing metal, try a pair of 75's mixed in with the Greenies(X pattern) which Trace at Voodoo Amps has claimed great results with.

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

FWIW, I tried two 75's and left 2x 25's in an x pattern and they came straight back outta there, I much preferred the cab stock and I play hard rock.

Anyone wishing to hear tones available from an AX cab should listen to 'the darkness' awesome cranked sound.

8. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Sure they're fine for acid or hard rock but metal? Seriously fine with 75's for me although I later went to C80's until I got sick of them too. Hey, if stock AX/BX's work for you, cool, enjoy.

9. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I played my 1960 AX cab tonite with my '74 Orange OR80 head----my friend was playing my early 70's 1960B w/G12T-75's and one of the hotrodded 2204 clones i've built---both rigs were cranked and sounding very good.
    My 1960AX came to me unloaded and all beat-up---i put in Emi GB12's (until i could get some "good" speakers to install)---- the GB12's work very well in this cab and are still in there over a yr later---i did have to cure a rattling/buzzing handle on the cab but after that it's been smooth sailing...................gldtp99

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

My favorite of all the 1960 cabs.
    I've used them for years.

11. FortinAmps

FortinAmps Member

It's a good cab.

If the plastic handles start to vibrate, just replace them with some Mojo metal one as well as the broken plastic wheel wells that will happen if you start taking it out to gigs :)

Cheers,
    Mike