• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1961 Bassman repair question

NAC25

Silver Supporting Member
I have an interest in purchasing a 61 Bassman head/cab. It's at a good price, but has sound issues. It cuts out when playing. Not sure if it's a tube or ??

Question I have; what would be a "worse case scenario" to get it fixed?

Do the tube rectified 61's sound as good as the 62's? Just curious.

Thanks!

Blue Strat

There's no consensus on tone (or accounting for taste) but that's an awesome amp!

It's impossible to even give a high estimate on an amp over the web even though people will do it because they just fell that they MUST "contribute". ;)

One thing I can say for sure is that if it's never had a cap job, it needs one NOW! Figure around $250 for that and a complete checkout. Possibly more if it needs any tubes.

Find out what you can about it's service history, and/or get some internal photos including inside the "dog house" (rectangular metal pan under the chassis which contains the power supply capacitors).

NAC25

Silver Supporting Member
Mike, thanks for the info. I'll stop by and check it out and report back what I find out.

schecter

No telling could be as simple as a Jack??
Definitely get all those maintenance issues fixed and a Cap job if it needs one,and remove the Death cap if it has one..Like with all old Fenders that could be a wonderful sounding one or just an OK one..For the most part those were great sounding amps and worth the standard maintenance costs and upgrades...Get a Good tech you trust who has respect for these gems and pay him what he deserves!!..That amp will give you many more years of wonderful reliable tone!

Don't worry about if it's better than a 61 or any other amp.. If you like it that's what counts!!

Tony Albany

woof*

As long as the transformers are good, just have a great tech recap, new cord, poss tubes and go over it.
2-300$ and well worth it.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Is this a blond bassman or a tweed? It does make some difference. For example, at $1k with another $300 to get it up to snuff, a tweed bassman would be a steal. At $1k with another 300 to get caught up, the blond one would be touch and go for value (in other words, you could possibly replace it for less money).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom