• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

1961 Gibson ES-335TD

I have never started a thread about a guitar I own; it has always sort of felt like bragging. I have always just tagged on to one that someone already started. I have had this guitar now for almost 5 years and it is clearly my #1. Seems like the time to share since we’ve all been locked down for so long. It is a player since it has been re-necked with quarter sawn old growth mahogany using the original fretboard, binding, dot inlays and truss rod. The neck profile is like a 1958-59. It is a bit rough and well worn, but the body finish and all hardware are original. Yep it even has the original PAF’s. I thank Charlie Gelber at OK Guitars for finding this for me.

Previously I have had probably ten vintage ES guitars from Epiphone and Gibson plus several reissues. This guitar is my favorite out of about 25 I currently have and will always be special to me. Just wanted to share to say that you can get a great vintage guitar to play and not spend a lot of money.

Highnumbers

That's fantastic man, what a guitar!

Great way to buy them as well - a renecked vintage can be downright affordable and still deliver the same sound. I had a renecked '59 335 years ago that was a fun guitar.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
That's a great looking guitar... I do love the look of those early sunbursts.

Please don't worry about posting stuff like this - there's a real cross section of people here with very different collections and budgets but we're all friends and all enjoy living vicariously through each other's collections! Anything you want to share is great, we love to have things to look at and talk about.

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
Love it....thanks for sharing. what a great looking finish! Agree Charlie is the man, a great resource and always available..just an all around good guy willing to share his knowledge.

A nice old 335/345 is something I’ve always wanted as well....for whatever reason the new ones just don’t compare. Some of the custom shop stuff is great but when played next to a great early stoptail model for me it’s been lights out....ES guitars vary a great deal from one to another which makes finding a good one even more challenging. I recently picked up a wide neck ‘65 ES 345 and I love it...it’s the best ES I’ve owned.

Congrats on owning one of the greatest guitars ever made!

jackaroo

@Guitar Whiskey

Looks very high quality! Dope.

Thanks!

I have a few ‘66s...I really like them, but I always wanted a PAF equipped wide neck model.

Were you at all put off by getting into this guitar because of the replaced neck? Or did you get to play it first? Perhaps the shop has a nice return policy?

I’m sure it was less than an original, but must have still been expensive.

@Guitar Whiskey

Looks very high quality! Dope.

Thanks!

I have a few ‘66s...I really like them, but I always wanted a PAF equipped wide neck model.

Were you at all put off by getting into this guitar because of the replaced neck? Or did you get to play it first? Perhaps the shop has a nice return policy?

I’m sure it was less than an original, but must have still been expensive.
No concern at all. I spoke with Charlie and his description was very clear and accurate; he is a straight shooter. It was actually better than he portrayed it to be. Unless you were examining it knowing it was renecked you wouldn't notice a thing other than a 1959 profile with a 1961 serial number. The work is impeccable from a form and finish standpoint. There is light aging and weather checking that match the guitar body. I will never look for a different of better ES guitar; this satisfies all my needs.

Highnumbers

Looks like it was wearing a Bigsby at one point too (which is a great option to have, at least to those of us who love having the vibrato!)

Looks like it was wearing a Bigsby at one point too (which is a great option to have, at least to those of us who love having the vibrato!)
Right, it was a factory Bigsby but was missing it when I got it. I like them but have plenty of other guitars with a Bigsby so this one will remain a stop tail.

JackD

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a '59 ES-345 I got from Charlie a few years ago. It is outstanding--nearly mint, 100% original, just an amazing guitar. When it comes to "Holy Grail ES- type guitars", Charlie is THE man!

Trending Topics