1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1961 Pro with mid-60s Twin Reverb OT

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sabby, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sabby

sabby Member

Hi all. I have a 1961 Brown Pro with a replacement Output Transformer from a mid-60s Twin Reverb. It's clean and punchy, which is great. The downside is that I never get any real compression and sing, even when I get tube crunch (at around 7). Malcolm Young or Pete Townsend would love it, but I only get to play at considerably lower volumes.

To be honest, this is a clean amp for me anyway. But I'm curious: What tonal difference do you all think a proper Brown Pro OT would make? Would I get more smoothness and balance, or just less bass? I'd appreciate any thoughts. TIA.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Dunno about the Pro, but I can give some impressions of tweed vs brown vs. black/silverface. My tiny '52 Princeton Tweed compresses and squashes if you look at it, and siiiiings, and snarls over 5, and bites you over 7. Very squishy.

The silverface Princeton Reverb was the total opposite. Sparkly clean, seemed to even want to clean up my dirt pedals. Wouldn't even step out of order until I finally put some lower valued tubes in there (12AU7) and cranked it to 10. Even then it was crunchy, not squishy.

Brown? Now we're in my town. Using 5751 tubes instead of the 7025, and it stays clean to 7, starts spanking in a tight compression way around 6, and has a growly brown overdrive from 7 on. Believe it or not, still bedroom levels until around 8-9, at which point i feel like i'm in a stadium, but that Brownface Concert is singing oh so sweetly, not crunchy or squishy - growling is the word. Love it.

so before switching output transformers, maybe put some different tubes in there? Brown is a great amp era!

3. sabby

sabby Member

I'll give it a shot, Jahn. Thanks.

Anyone else?

4. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

You will get more compression and sing with the proper, smaller transformer. The downside is the bass wont be as tight sounding.

5751's are cool but they are less gainy than 12ax7s...

5. sabby

sabby Member

Thanks redtoploarder. I think the smaller OT is probably the way to go. I have plenty of lows between the circuit and 15" speaker.