1961 SG reissue neck question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by louis, Jan 21, 2015.

1. louis

louis Supporting Member

Hi guys

Is there a year that those 61 reissue
    had a fat neck or there all slim taper ?

Thanks

2. guitargeek135

guitargeek135 Supporting Member

I was always under the impression that the slim taper neck was what made it a "61"

3. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Gibson did a limited GC run around 2006 or so of a fatter necked 62 SG reissue. It looks just like the 61 but has a larger neck. I've never played one, though.

4. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

the funny thing about SGs is some got really big necks after 61. I had a real 65 SG Jr and it had a huge neck.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I once had a 2001 (?) SG Special that had what they called a 1962 rounded neck profile. It was beefy without being a Louisville slugger. Very comfortable.

I don't know what the profile on the later Specials was, or if they still offer the guitar. Mine was Alpine white with an ebony board and dot inlay, no neck binding. Sweet guitar, wish I didn't have to sell it.

6. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thanks guys

I can't stand slim necks but I see a lot
    of nice 61's for sale , wish they had chunky necks.

7. djy8131

djy8131 Member

I have a 61 reissue that I love the sound of but the neck is too big for me. Maybe someone didn't sand mine as far. I end up playing my 50's and 60's neck Gibsons much more.

8. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

9. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Why not try a standard? The Standards with the large pick guards had large necks from what I remember. They also had cheaper pickups, and maybe you don't like the large pick guard. I think the recent small guard standards had meatier necks than the '61 but with a very similar feature set.

10. ibis

ibis Member

For a big neck try a SG Classic.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

11. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

That's for sure...

12. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I had a '06 Gibson SG '61 RI that was slim with a little meat on the neck, it was a nice guitar!
    Recently I acquired a mint '13 Gibson "Derek Trucks" SG which has a true D shape neck.
    It feels great in my hands and it sounds absolutely amazing...

13. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Great suggestion, but to my knowledge they only came with P90s, at least the recent ones.

Those had HUGE necks.

14. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I bought a used 2013 Custom Shop SG last year and I could not be happier. This from a guy who swore them off, previously. The neck seems bigger than the standard 61 RI, and it is definitely bigger than my Les Paul Classic's ridiculously thin neck.

Anyway, if you can swing it, I think the CS SG is hard to beat. Mine stays in tune as well or better than my other guitars, sounds amazing, plays like butter, and weighs next to nothing. My ONLY gripe was the pots, but I bought a replacement kit from MSSC and I'm never going to sell this one.

Good luck with the hunt. A great SG is a thing of beauty!

15. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thanks !!

My problem is I'm far from music stores like
    20 hours away so cant try them before buying so thats
    why you guys opinion count.

Someone above said that the batwing comes
    with cheaper pickups , this I didnt know .

Lou

16. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

Tell me about it! I had one I bought new in 2000 that I sold because I couldn't get used to the neck. Well, that and it was very heavy.

17. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Let me be fair and clarify my bias, as that’s where the “cheap” comment came from, as I’m pretty sure they cost roughly the same price, give or take.

The Standard I mentioned comes with/came with the 490R/498T set, which is basically a modern take on the classic PAF. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I prefer the ’57 Classics in any SG, but that’s just MY preference. They aren’t BAD pickups, but the 2013 Standards came with ’57 Classics and a small pick guard, which are two options I personally prefer.

Let me also say that I was going to buy a Standard (2008 I believe) with the 490/498 set in it until I found my ’61 Reissue. I really liked that Standard, obviously, as I was about to buy it, and I think the pickups are the only weak point on those models.

That being said, you can find great deals on the Standards with the large pick guards, and they are excellent guitars. You might even love the stock pickups, I know some guys on here speak highly of them. Either way, they’re great guitars and will satisfy your taste for a nice SG with a bigger neck.

18. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thanks guys ,,

Will check around to see What I can find .