1962 Gibson es-330 with pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by topboost, Dec 7, 2017.

1. topboost

topboost Member

So a '62 330 that I thought was sold had the deal fall through so I want to look at it tomorrow.
    Block inlays, black covers, tulip tuners and looks like a replaced nut. Could a '62 still have black pick up covers and not chrome? Supposed to have button tuners, correct?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

1962 Gibson ES-330 specs:
    By mid 1962 the small block fingerboard inlays replace dots, nickel pickup covers replace black plastic pickup covers, cherry finish available. At first the pickup covers were nickel plated plastics (rare), but then quickly changed to nickle plated metal covers. Also the "ears" of the body became more pointy and less "Mickey Mouse" style.

3. topboost

topboost Member

So is there a possibility of a change over time where the smaller eared body would have blocks and black covers?

4. adamdaniel

adamdaniel Supporting Member

Black covers could absolutely be early '62. Seen it before.

5. topboost

topboost Member

Thanks and what about the block inlays? I'll have to see if I can get the serial number from the guitar tomorrow to verify some stuff.
    And I'm hoping the neck profile on that one is closer to the '59 335 I have as opposed to the '65 on narrow necks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. Jayyj

Jayyj Member

Yeah, there's a crossover period where '62 330s have changed to block inlays but still have the plastic covers.

'60 - '62s typically have a slim neck front to back - in '63 the neck gets thicker again and remains like that until '66, although there were three nut widths in play by '65, with 1 5/8" nut widths appearing as early as '64 and and 1 9/16" is standard by the last quarter of '65. A '64 or earlier '65 is my favourite profile for Gibsons, a nice comfortable C shape that isn't as big a '59 but still has some substance to it.

The original tuners were probably Klusons with white oval buttons. Tulips don't look out of place on them though.

H. Mac likes this.
  7. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Those are modern tuners with threaded bushings. The holes in the headstock would have to be enlarged to fit them.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

VERY nice TP.

Yea the tuners have been change from the buttons.

My '63 ES-330 had a thicker neck but not '59 like neck thickness.

Mine did come with the nickel covers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. topboost

topboost Member

Ok thanks, all. The seller is listing it as all original, and I figured for sure the tuners were not. I don't like the idea of the holes being enlarged to fit these. At least not for the money he's asking. And I much prefer a chunkier neck. If it's in between the thinner version and my '59 that would be ok.

10. RnB

RnB Member

Whoever put the bolt-on tuners on there could have put replacement bushing tuners (w/ conv bushes?) on the guitar. Either, something is amiss, or maybe at one time, there were Grovers on the guitar which require 3/8" bore? TR cover looks to be a replacement as well?

I have a '63 & on my own, I put vintage style Tulip tuners on & saved the originals. I also put orig black pickup covers on cause I like them over metal.

[​IMG]

Sam Sherry likes this.
  11. adamdaniel

adamdaniel Supporting Member

Block inlays can also be '62, yes. I almost bought a 330 just like the one you're considering at Guitar Center Hollywood's vintage room. Couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on that much cash the day I saw it, and when I went back for it, it was gone...

12. topboost

topboost Member

$4500 Canadian is what he's asking(about $3500 USD). A lot of coin, but pretty rare guitar up here.

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

My buddy's early 60's 330, with original case.

Not sure of the exact year of this one - I'll have to ask him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rlmcritters1 likes this.
  14. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

My buddy says it's a '65.

[​IMG]

15. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

Black covers on my ‘62

[​IMG]