1963 335 Anyone have or had one?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Baracus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Baracus

Baracus Member

Yes spent a few nights playing it. It really does play and sound great

Probably, knowing that someone snapped it up at that price would probably make me feel like I missed out on debating whether it was "worth it" if it clearly was.
    Of course I'd be ok, sometimes when that happens it would be a relief

If I saw it sell in a few years time for a few thousand more I'd feel a bit stupid possibly. I mean I can't see it dropping in value. It is what it is, a modded vintage 335

2. Baracus

Baracus Member

Plan B is probably not buy anything.. I wasn't actually looking at anything before this presented itself

3. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

It's difficult for me to make a recommendation considering that I know nothing about the vintage market in Australia. My instincts are that if that guitar was in the states it would probably be difficult to move if it was priced above 7K. However, from your comments I would conclude that the "problems" that you have described don't seem to be as big a deal in AUS. My advice to you, since you obviously like it, is to work out a deal. Hell, if you have to sell the Klon to recoup some of your capital you can do that.

4. Baracus

Baracus Member

Yes but for $7K with a bonus Klon?
    The Aus market is a much smaller pool. You just don't walk into guitar stores here and see vintage anything. Except for the few "Vintage" stores and their prices really make your eyes water.

On ebay there's only one 60's 335. A Sunburst 69 (trapeze) in great condition for $10,500 ($8,200 USD) So for that price I'm getting the 63 plus a Klon

Reverb in Aus has:
    An early 70's (cherry, trapeze conversion) for $9,000 ($7000 USD)
    A Sunburst '66 for $11,000 ($8,700 USD) Missing pick up, has toggle switch, tuners replaced, trapeze replacement. So again for cheaper than that I can get the '63 and a Klon

There is a cherry '63 in excellent condition fo $29,000 ($22,300 USD)... so that is what I am comparing to.... for a third of the price I'm getting a worn, modded, players 335 and a Klon (there are zero Klons on Reverb Aus and two on ebay $3000 and $3500 ($2750 & $2400 USD)

oh and there's a '61 335 for $43,000 ($34,000 USD) ouch.

Thats about all I can find

Based on dollars alone, comparatively speaking it seems like a good deal to be honest. Or am I just talking myself into it?
    It is more that I really did the guitar as a guitar. But the money man in me also wants at least a reasonable deal

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. eddie101

eddie101 Member

As a guy who's been buying/selling vintage gear for 30 some years, this 335 is something I would not touch. If it can somehow conjure up the spirit of EC in his Cream days, then I might consider but the answer is no. :)

As someone mentioned, there are some capable small builders out there who can build you killer guitars. FWIW, my personal favorite is Toru Nittono http://www.nittonoguitars.com/ and if he can satisfy peeps like Santana, Robben Ford, late Tom Petty, Ted Greene and Bruce S, I'm sure he can make you a happy camper as well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Baracus likes this.
  6. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Point is, you are not getting a 1963...it's a butchered body with missing electronics. Dealer's pricing formula is foobar. Send an email to OK Guitars, owner hangs here, and ask him what he'd pay for a guitar with these modifications. He's known to be straight on ES values.

Additionally, Klons are hugely overrated and over priced. Plenty of clones and other pedals that will goose an amp in a nice way for $200US.

7. Baracus

Baracus Member

Yes I get what you are saying... but the "butchering" is the difference between $29,000 and $7,000.
    And you can see what other butchered guitars sell for over here. (the Sunburst '66 at $8,700). I'm just saying it's all relative
    The US dealer who valued offered to buy it for the $6500 USD

Also your point of asking what the dealer would pay for it doesn't help me much, I am not a dealer,I am paying retail. If the dealer would pay $4K for it, they would sell it at $6K. So $6K is market price.

Also yes Klons are overpriced and hugely over rated. But what they sell for is what they sell for, which is what matters to me in this scenario. Market dictates that.

So reading between the lines, are you saying I shouldn't buy it? jk. I appreciate the input

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Moby Dick likes this.
  8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've got a '67 ES-335 that's been "butchered". Converted from a 12-string so some major surgery at the headstock, and the pickups are Wolfetones. And stop TP added. It was a similar situation to what you're looking at - I paid about a third what a clean, intact example would have cost at the time. I've never once regretted that purchase, and I've yet to find the Collings, Historic, etc that can match it. Just my experience.

/rick

Ncp10 and Baracus like this.
  9. Baracus

Baracus Member

Thanks Rick, yeah its easy to get all clinical with it, but if the guitar speaks to you then all the bits and pieces don't matter so much.
    With most purchases I do like to know that I can get my money back (or close enough) if it doesn't work out... which seems to be the case here. Well I thought it did, but getting some very varied opinions... from "go for it" to "wouldn't touch it". I'm still on the fence

Appreciate everyone's input though, great to get for and againsts.

Just spoke to the seller, he has a vintage guitar shop owner who has wanted it for 10 years... If i don't take it, off to him it goes. I guess if I do take it and move it later I know who to call. Decision time.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. 57gold

Alternatives, if you really have to have a vintage thin line made by Gibson, would be to pick your budget say $6-7K and find the best one of the following - an early 1960s ES-330 or a mid 1960s Epiphone Sheraton (made in Kalamazoo) or a 1965-68 ES335 (good enough for Larry Carlton). In the long run, having a no excuses, intact, 100% original vintage guitar is the way to protect any investment made.

BTW, anyone who wants to pay $27K for my 1964 ES-335 with nickel parts in 100% very clean condition can have it.

11. Baracus

Baracus Member

That all makes good sense... am home playing it now and looking at this... a crack forming down along the line of the screws. From the end of the headstock to G tuner, between the G & B and then even between the B and E tuners too. Could have been there for 40 years when the Klusons were put back on... or could be newish. Either way I think that may be the deal breaker. It's either going to stay the same or get worse - won't get better! Is this common on these?

[​IMG]

12. lousyatit

I heartily endorse this recommendation.

13. eddie101

eddie101 Member

This isn't SG, so the short answer to your Q is resounding NO. I'm quite surprised to hear that a dealer was after this piece for 10 years??

14. 57gold

Unless I cracked the headstock and had it fixed to my satisfaction, I'd never touch at a headstock repaired instrument.

Sold a 1962 Les Paul/SG Ebony Block w/PAFs a couple of years ago and buyer almost took the instrument for an X-ray, so concerned he was about the structural integrity of the neck and body joint. Structural issues like headstock cracks are huge red flags.

With all the "issues" that this instrument has, guessing that its resale value in US would be $3K, at best. OK Guitars would advise you as to retail value, owner is an ES nut (in a good way).

For @$6.5 to $7K, I'd buy something like this:

[​IMG]

But I own 1959 335, 345 & 355, 1964 335, Collings I-35 Deluxe and a JG BM Semi...so I have the thin line area covered pretty nicely. However, I dig the headlock and board inlays, binding and compensator tailpiece on these!

15. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Cool looking piece. RF, OTOH, liked it so much he replaced it with a stop tail. Go figure...

16. lousyatit

Personally, you're trying to compare apples and oranges here. My comments do not reflect the Klon as part of the deal because what someone asks for the pedal and what it might actually realize at sale is two different things.
    No, that's not a common problem, somebody f#$ked up. Now this puts this guitar into a different category, this is a structural problem, and the price needs to be adjusted to reflect that.

17. Baracus

Baracus Member

Yes hear what you are saying... The other stuff for the right price I could possibly of lived with, once I found the headstock issue I was done. It would have made me anxious.

I just returned it about 5 minutes ago actually, so that's that, no deal.

I have a '73 LPC that had a minor neck crack. Was repaired before I bought it in the early 90's but it still bugs me a bit- even though there has been absolutely no issues with it since. And I'd picked that up cheap. Couldn't live with that with something more expensive

18. Baracus

Baracus Member

Emailed Charlie at OK and he got straight back to me which was very helpful, thanks for the tip!
    Beautiful looking guitar you have there too!

19. lousyatit

I would have had a TRUSTED luthier inspect it and then made my decision. Once again, that crack devalues this guitar.

20. Baracus

Baracus Member

Yeah, I was already on the fence about it and I don't think he would have reduced the price more. Even if he did, it would have still bugged me (combined with the other issues)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018