1963 Blonde Fender Bandmaster Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sub City, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sub City

Sub City Member

I'm looking at this 1963 Blonde Fender Bandmaster head with Blackface Vertical Dual Showman cabinet. Wondering what's a decent price on the combo. The Bandmaster is kind of beat cosmetically, missing back cover(see pics), and not sure about some of the numbers:

Output Transformer: 606-3-05 / 12571xA(hard to make out)?
    Power Transformer: 606-3-40 / 125C1A
    Choke Transformer: 606-6-14 / 022848

Not sure why the choke transformer reads from 66.

Bottom of the chassis reads: AB4563(inked)?
    Right side of chassis reads: A00992(stamped)

Cabinet is humongous, measuring: 40H x 30W x 11D

Sealed back with a million screws! Speakers appear to be 15's.

Old tubes in there; the amp probably needs to be completely gone over.

What price is safe on this combo, or should I pursue only the head, and at what price?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

The head is a Transitional model---- most of these will have the AA763 vs the AB763 circuit listed on the paper inside the head--- BF panels and BF-type handle.
    The choke dates from '66 because it is a replacement---- the grille cloth is not orig.
    The faceplates do say "Fender Electric Instruments" instead of the later "Fender Musical Instruments".
    I have one of these AA763 Blonde/BF Transitional Bandmaster heads and it has orig wheat grillecloth and the orig back panel---- the OT was bad on mine so i replaced it and gave it a general servicing (Filter/bias caps---- installed good tubes).
    Very nice sounding amp. I would give "players price" for the head you listed and i'd stay away from that huge non-matching speaker cab---- you can get a proper -sized replica 2x12 with blonde tolex from various sources.................gldtp99

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I with gldtp99 I would pass on the cab, while it looks impressive it is a pain to move around.

Its too bad that Bandmaster doesn't have a presence knob, this one is not far from a standard BF bandmaster which are nice, but not as nice as a '61 Blonde Bandmaster. I think $500-600 USD would be a fair price for that Bandmaster. I would get gut shots before I bought it and find out what else besides the choke have been replaced.

4. m@2

m@2 Supporting Member

hmm... i say get the cab! i use that same cab often, and yes it's big, but no heavier than my other cabs...

price wise, 5-600 for the head... 300 or so for the cab would be a decent deal : )

5. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Uh, maybe it's just me, but why does the tolex on the inside back shots look black? The bits in the fold inside where the back panel would have covered it up... It the head painted?

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Sure does look black to me. I have seen plenty of Blonde and Brown era fenders painted Black, but painting a black to a blonde is a new one if that is what happened.

I would still be more concerned about the guts than the cosmetics as this is clearly a players amp....

7. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

My '63 Tremolux was painted black when I got it many years ago, so I stripped the paint and unless you pull the tolex off,there will places you can't get to completely. I am guessing that is the case here.
    Gordon

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

First band I was in (circa '62-'63) we had a '63 blond Bandmaster and all the inputs were full...2 guitars and 2 mics...those were the days. We were the house band for a local club and the guy that owned the club bought the amp for us to use. We paid him "rent" to use the amp and probably paid for it a couple times over. We thought we were hot stuff with it though. Few bands could afford to have an amp for every instrument in those days. The ones that could were super cool. He also bought a Fender tape echo unit that we paid him for over time and he wouldn't return it to us after we played another local club. He was pretty much a jerk about it and we were just kids. So, we didn't know what to do and couldn't afford an attorney. He even found a couple friends of his he wanted to be the singers for the band, threatened to fire us if we didn't use them and change our name. I formed the band 2 yrs previously and kinda' felt it was my band. Anyway, we felt we had no choice but to capitulate. We played for a short while as the new band then quit and became the house band for the competing club. Man, was he PISSED. Made all kinds of threats. Scared the poop out of us, but he knew that's all he could do as we had no contract with him...thank God. Had to take my dad to get my own guitar and amp out of the club. Kind of an ugly scene. By that time my parents had bought a new ('64) Twin Reverb for me for Christmas. Yes! Just thought you might enjoy the story.

Tom