1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1963 Brown Princeton, any thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Jul 27, 2006.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a mint 1963 Brown Princeton on hold. I'm looking for a Brown/Tweed low wattage type of amp.

I do want it to get some of that early ZZTop, retro kind of vibe. Any thoughts on this? Am I in the ballpark? Any help is greatly appreciated before I pay for it.

2. hogy

hogy Member

They're sweet sounding amps without much gain. You'd probably like it, but for that tone a brown Deluxe is better, especially with a Vox speaker. More gain than the Princeton and a much bigger sound.

Oh, I just so happen to have a perfect '63 Dlx I'd consider parting with, not that I'd be thinking of spamming here, e-mail me.

Hogy

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Brown is very different from Tweed, IMO... not as much sparkle, a different, more earthy kind of grindage...

I respeakered my Princeton with a 12, and that worked very well for me.

4. GAT

Is your Princeton Brown or Tweed? I like Tweed but I tend to dial out the sparkle for more mid thump so the Brown Fenders might be the ticket.

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

Used section at Bizarre? :D

6. Dave Orban

My Princeton was Brown, a '62.

I kept the '54 Deluxe, which I liked a bit better than the Princeton. Definitely more mid-thump in the Browns, IMO...

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Brown Princeton is unlike all of the other Brown amps. It still uses the Paraphase phase invertor. Basically, it's impossible to completely balance the two sides, so that the clean overhead is severely diminished. In fact, it's basically the same circuit as the tweed Tremolux, including 10" speaker. Since any tweed amp will cost you twice what the Princeton should (say $400-500) it's a great way to get into Tweed tone. It'll do ZZ Top, and record really well. The brown deluxe would have more gain, but less mids and more high end as well-1/2 way between tweed and BF.

8. Dave Orban

I thought the Tweed Tremolux was the same circuit as the Tweed Deluxe... No...?

9. GAT

What would you pay for a mint one?

10. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

As I recall, the Tweed Deluxe and the Tweed Vibrolux were virtually the same circuit. Great sounding amp!

But the Brown Princeton is near the top of my my "All-time, Best-sounding, Amplifier Hit Parade"! I loved the overall tone and versatility, and I also felt the Princeton took well to pedals. It was relatively clean, but when pushed got some excellent, smooth overdrive. I had a Weber speaker in it. It's one of the amps that I really regret selling. (The top spot on my All-time list goes to the Savage Macht 6 - the Princeton Brownie is just behind that for tone).

Have fun looking,
    Dean

11. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Its actually the brown princeton and tweed vibrolux that's the same. tweed tremolux and deluxe are similar too..

12. erksin

erksin Member

Buy it - they're fantastic amps, IMO. I replaced the Oxford in mine with a Kendrick Blackframe 10 and it roars now...

[​IMG]

13. doctord02

doctord02 Member

The Brown Princeton does the ZZ Thang quite easily; I have a '62 that has a Celestion 10 L 50 speaker that is instant Billy G with nothing but a cable and a Les Paul. I had a dead mint one that I sold to Drew at the vintage room at the Hollywood GC a few years ago that he put a $800 price tag on while I was still in the store... Needless to say he didnt give me anything near that much...

14. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

The 6g2 is the tweediest of the browns -- not surprising, since it's basically the same as a tweed Vibrolux. Not as big and roaring as a 5e3 -- a little tighter grind when you crank it up. Partly due to the 10" speaker, of course, but it's also due to the circuit. Very nice cleans, but it's got a lot of drive on tap (unlike the BF non-reverb Princeton, which I think some have mistaken it for).

Really, a spectacular small Fender.

They seem to be going for around $800 in decent shape -- substantially more if mint.

15. Dave Orban

Depends on the gig.

I've done PLENTY of gigs with the '62 Princeton. You know, guitar, cord, amp. ;)