• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

1963 Fender Blonde Bassman 6G6-B amp incoming

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I lucked out and found a blonde 63 Bassman head (could be late 62) for a great price and pulled the trigger. It's a late 62/63 with rough blonde tolex, brown faceplate with the word "Bass" on the first channel as opposed to the 63 "Bass Instruments." The grillcloth is blonde and I'm not sure it's original, but who cares?!

I don't currently have a cab to play it through and I need to find one. There is a blonde 60's Fender 2x12 cab available locally for a decent price with changed speakers. What speakers would come in these cabs originally? Any suggestions on current speakers to pair with this head? Thanks!

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Do you know it's a 4 or an 8 ohm Transformer? Most likely it a 4 ohm Tranny.. My Bassman came with a 8 ohm transformer and a single 12" tone ring cabinet.. My speaker was an original JBL D120F. Most likely you have a 4 ohm Transformer and you'll be looking for a 2X12 Cabinet w/ Oxford's or Jensen's or CTS.

stellablue

I have the original 2X12 cab but it's very big. I usually use a 2x10 Lamar cab in cream tolex loaded with two Warehouse g10 ceramic. I use one smooth and one ribbed cone. The cab has a convertible back. It's small and light enough to carry without killing myself. I also had Mike Clark change the Bass side to a JTM45 circuit.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I have the original 2X12 cab but it's very big. I usually use a 2x10 Lamar cab in cream tolex loaded with two Warehouse g10 ceramic. I use one smooth and one ribbed cone. The cab has a convertible back. It's small and light enough to carry without killing myself. I also had Mike Clark change the Bass side to a JTM45 circuit.
I will mainly use this for larger venues and outdoor gigs, so probably only a handful of gigs a year. I don't mind hauling a 2x12 for a few gigs and I have a 68 Vibrolux with 2x10's. That is a good suggestion though, and one I'll consider.

rockinrobby

Double Platinum Member
I will mainly use this for larger venues and outdoor gigs, so probably only a handful of gigs a year. I don't mind hauling a 2x12 for a few gigs and I have a 68 Vibrolux with 2x10's. That is a good suggestion though, and one I'll consider.
Here's a Cabinet..?? Just trying to help complete your set.. https://reverb.com/item/554340-2x12...rkle-grill-fender-hardware-bassman-bandmaster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-F...675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4f5334a3

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member

rockinrobby

Double Platinum Member
The second one on ebay is the one that's near me. That music store is close to my house and I might grab that one. The owner of the store, Billy, is a great guy and a friend of mine. Not sure about the speakers in there though.
Should match your head.. If the speakers are original thats a plus ++ If not you have a ton of options.. Just trying to make your set complete brother! :aok

rockinrobby

Double Platinum Member
After further inspection the speakers are not original but great speakers!! Also you can buy a set of new re-pop skids for the bottom of that cabinet.. Good luck brother...

mscaggs

I have restored a few of these, you will be happy as all Bassman owner usually are. Congrads

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
After further inspection the speakers are not original but great speakers!! Also you can buy a set of new re-pop skids for the bottom of that cabinet.. Good luck brother...
Thanks! I really appreciate it! I know some people mod these (I won't!) to get the Bass channel to sound like a Marshall. Don't these get into Marshall territory on the Normal channel pretty easily?

mscaggs

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I know some people mod these (I won't!) to get the Bass channel to sound like a Marshall. Don't these get into Marshall territory on the Normal channel pretty easily?
I do mods when people request them, but have built them both modded and orig. The Marshall left side just make them for versatile for the session guys I deal with and some touring pros as well. Either way you have yourself a nice amp bro...

rockinrobby

Double Platinum Member
I wouldn't touch a thing if it was mine.. However, if it's been messed with already I would take it to your tech..

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I have a good tech who I always take my amps to when I get a new one. Hopefully, it's in good working shape and has the standard maintenance done. If not, I'll definitely be doing that since I plan to play it out. Next outdoor gig is early next month and this amp is coming with me!

sickboy79

Congrats! Blonde and BF Bassman heads are my favorite amps of all time. Plug into the Bass channel and crank it! It's one of the most glorious overdriven tones ever, IMO. Plug into a 4x12 (wired to 4 ohms) with Greenbacks or G12H30s. Amazing tones.

rockinrobby

Double Platinum Member
Great outdoor amp… 50 watts of glorious Fender tone!! Get a Cabinet brother!!

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Great outdoor amp… 50 watts of glorious Fender tone!! Get a Cabinet brother!!
I am on it! I'd like to use it for recording bass also. I am currently using a crappy tube pre through a crappy Fender Rumble bass combo for recording. This should work well for that too.

Trending Topics