1963 Guild Starfire

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by tycobb73, Nov 22, 2019.

1. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Sounds good.

If you post some more detailed pics, we should be able to resolve any questions about the originality of the pickups. The original pickups obviously have some value, but nothing like the run on PAFs. The Korean reissues are pretty new, so if the refin is older and everything looks/sounds right, it's a pretty safe bet that it is what it appears to be.

2. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

3. tycobb73

1963 Starfire III

noley likes this.
  4. tycobb73

If anyone has anything to say I'd love to hear it.

5. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

I can’t offer anything more than I’m a sucker for a Florentine cutaway. Original or not I reeeally dig the ‘63.

6. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I don't see anything in those pics that would make me nervous about either one -- so I'd choose based on what you like. For me, the '63 is the clear first choice, even with the strip/refin.

The intonation on the SF-IV must be... interesting.

;)

7. tycobb73

Thanks. Im learning towards the 66. It has a bit more chime which is ro be expected. I don't think i ever solo the neck pickup and the 63 apears to be wired out of phase. I do sometimes use both pickups. The 66 seems to sit nicely between my tele and my sg classic.

8. JimR56

JimR56 Member

So, did you find the red spots they referred to? As soon as I opened this thread, I thought that the finish on the '63 looked like it could be right. As previously mentioned, Guild offered Amber as one of their custom finish options (https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/Starfire_III.php). I had a red Starfire lll many years ago, but I've seen the amber finish on Guilds of that period. To me it looks pretty darned nice.

Here's a similar one: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?176346-Amberstar-found-2-nice-guilds-for-sale

9. tycobb73

I didn't but I'm legally blind. Another reason i thought it was stripped was because it is not a gloss finish. The neck is awesome as it feels satin or unfinished. Obviously it is strained. But i feel no other finish.

10. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I think you're probably right. An original Guild '60s finish is usually rather brittle and flaky -- they don't wear down to the smooth oiled finish that I see in the pics. It looks stripped to me, with a light rubbed sealer coat. While that's not ideal for value or originality, you could do a lot worse. I would be fine with it as is.

11. tycobb73

There's 1 on reverb that has checking all over the neck. Can't tell on the body. I sent an email about the body. Im not a historian but i don't believe a major brand would do a no finish body with a finished neck in the 60s. The price is right so i would be fine with it too. In fact I'd prefer it as i love unfinished necks. But the 66 is a rock machine. Just had the 66 at my luthier. He said he can get the action lower by removing the disks. He may have to pur a smaller washer under the saddle. He was confident the neck wouldn't move any further so no reset needed in the near future. Also said the frets were in awesome shape. GC just offered 3 year financing on used instruments so the 63 will be going back and I'll have to return the 66 then buy it again to get the 3 year financing.

smiert spionam likes this.
  12. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Sounds reasonable. You've thought this through and tried them both, so... enjoy!

13. JimR56

JimR56 Member

I guess I was just hoping it was original, based on your photo and having seen a few Guilds over the years. Anyway, good on you that you're a focused musician, and having clear ideas about what you like and don't like. Congrats on finding a keeper. Good luck with it, and enjoy that thing!

14. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on scoring a great old Starfire IV! I’ve got one jut like the ‘66 you’re keeping and it’s my favorite Guild....it’s about 150 or so later than yours in serial numbers and from the same year. Looks like there is some binding shrink in the horns on yours which is to be expected and easily repaired. Incidentally mine has the same tuners as yours and for the life of me I can’t figure out why Guild would put cheap import tuners on that guitar....they only used them for a short period. TMMW there is nothing available aftermarket I’m aware of that fits the footprint without drilling new holes. Good news is that with some love and proper adjustment they can be made to work well....just some cleaning, lube and proper tightness on the gear screw and they should be fine. Enjoy, and play it in good health!

15. tycobb73

Thanks. It's an awesome guitar. Going to have to find a case for it. I guess the modern starfire cases work if i can find 1 for a good price.

16. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

I just tried to put my SF IV in my 335 Historic case...it doesn’t fit. I was a little surprised, I guess the lower bout is a little bigger or something. Too bad, 335 cases are easier to find....not sure who else makes a case to fit that guitar other than Guild....might be worth a call to TKL to see if they make a case that fits it?